• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hello Gazers

Guest northernstar

Guest northernstar

I am new to the forum and live near Derby. I have been interested in Astronomy since an early age and have had many cheaper scopes over the years. Recently bought a NexStar 4se but am looking to upgrade it next year to probably the new NexStar Evolution 9.25. At the moment I am just trying to figure out my current scope as I have never had a computerised goto before. Not getting much opportunity for viewing due to the weather and light nights.......but hopefully that will change before too long.

Great forum so far, keep up the good work!

Hi Mike and welcome... we are all hoping for longer, darker, clearer nights

Sheila

Hi Mike, a warm welcome to EMS.

Feel free to ask any questions you might have in the Beginners and Help section, someone will hopefully be able to help out. You would also be very welcome to bring your scope for a night out at one of the dark sites, keep an eye out in the Announcements section.

The Derby and District Astronomical Society are a helpful bunch, here's details.

http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/forum/63-derby-district-astronomical-society/

Enjoy the forum. :)

Guest northernstar

I will change it tomorrow on the laptop, seems like I can't edit my profile through the chat app. :-(

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the madhouse  (my wife insists i'm mad doing this hobby  :lol: )

And when you see the cost of things astro you'll appreciate just how mad it can get...... :facepalm:

Guest northernstar

I have already noticed the high costs involved but I will just spend what I can when I can......it could be worse, we could be spending our money on Meth labs so the wives really shouldn't complain! :-D

Guest northernstar

Thanks for the welcome to those that posted after my last big Thank You!!!  I also see that some people have a list of their equipment on the posts......how do you do this?  I had a look at editing my profile and can't see how it is done.  :(

Go back into "edit my profile", click on "Signature" and you can type in anything you want to appear below your posts.

Guest StevenWhatley

Hi Mike,

Welcome to EMS, I started off with a Nexstar 4GT (same as SE but grey) as my first GOTO and it did me good learn skies and how the basics of GOTOs work but you will soon want more like we all do especially if you start going into Astro Photography :) 

Anyhow welcome buddy! 

Cheers