• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Derby Area Informal Meets?

Guest northernstar

Guest northernstar

Hi everyone, was wondering if Derby locals ever meet up impromptu even if no observing sessions can take place due to weather conditions? I am seriously considering coming along to a Society meet but they can be a bit overwhelming at first and not necessarily the best for some serious advice and help from more experienced observers. I would certainly be up for the occasional Friday or Saturday evening get together just to be able to meet with other gazers. I am not suggesting any dates at this point, really just putting the question out there to see if 2-3 others might be interested. I hope I am not stepping on any toes by the way...this is not meant to take anything away from the society meets, just another opportunity for meeting in smaller numbers that will be a lot less scary for us noobs!! Anyway, if anyone is interested, let me know and then maybe we can arrange something.

Hi mike. Most of our meets tend to be fairly impromptu due to weather. We do occasionally have the odd get together without any observing but not that often, but you can easily put up a thread with a location/time (usually somewhere alcohol is served) and people usually pop along for a bit.

The meets are really chilled out and a lot of the time is just spent chatting and eating cakes. I don't think anyone takes themselves to seriously, so you needn't worry about stepping on anyone's toes.

Regards

Tobias

Hi Mike, I know what you mean about it feeling a tad daunting. I think the visual folks would be more than happy to share the views, and help out with any questions you might have.

The imagers won't have anything that you can see generally, they are more than busy enough inventing new swear words. Mostly to do with wires and expensive stuff that won't work with other expensive stuff. :lol: 

They do however have the patience and generosity to share their hard work on the forum. (After more profanity!)

Feel free to come over and join in, I think you will find it a good experience.

Bring a pair of Binoculars if you have some, if not let me know and I'll lend you a pair, there's bags to see with them.

Hi Mike, I know what you mean about it feeling a tad daunting. I think the visual folks would be more than happy to share the views, and help out with any questions you might have.

The imagers won't have anything that you can see generally, they are more than busy enough inventing new swear words. Mostly to do with wires and expensive stuff that won't work with other expensive stuff. :lol:

They do however have the patience and generosity to share their hard work on the forum. (After more profanity!)

Bring a pair of Binoculars if you have some, if not let me know and I'll lend you a pair, there's bags to see with them.

"The imagers won't have anything that you can see generally, they are more than busy enough inventing new swear words. Mostly to do with wires and expensive stuff that won't work with other expensive stuff. "   :o  :rofl:  :rofl:

Guest northernstar

Hey all, starting to sound promising anyway. I don't know about locale yet as I guess it depends on where people live. I actually live about 20 mins west of Derby off the A50. @baz, I do have a pair of binos but also my Nexstar 4 is pretty portable so throwing that in the car is not really an issue. If people already have a favourite meeting place then that works for me. @tobias, eating cakes definitely works for me! :-D

I did'nt think you were an experienced imager Baz :rofl:

Sorry, I realise I have posted in DDAS section.

My thoughts are still valid though, I think astronomy is one of the most inclusive hobbies there is, and the people I have met along the way are more than happy to show others their gear, and help others. It is a steep learning curve, particularly imaging, but I think most folks try share their experiences, good and bad, so others get the best from the hobby. Go to any star party, and it's a fantastic experience, even if the weather is poor.

Hey Mike, as a fellow noob I am up for it (terms and conditions apply)

Happy to bring my so far unused in anger Celestron Nexstar SLT 127 along (in the hope that someone will show me how to use it properly!)

Will these cloudy night EVER clear up!

So cloudy I've not even used my new Helios binos yet!

Guest northernstar

Cool! I haven't had the opportunity to learn to use my scope much yet either so maybe we can both get some tuition. Will have to keep an eye on the weather, eventually it has to clear up! [emoji22]

It's the curse of the noobs!

At least according to the old hands?

Buying a new scope instantly creates a cloud cover!

Hi Mike, Neil.

Sorry i didn't get the chance to meet you at last weeks open day. Alas, i work shifts and Saturdays thrown in, and couldn't get at all.

I've also been in Egypt recently so not been around much.

Regarding observing, if you want to meet up, i'll be up for it if i'm free.

One of our society members Brian, ( you may have met him last week ) often goes up to our Brailsford observatory.

I have a key too, so could meet you sometime for a bit of observing.

We meet up there every month for a session (the dates are on the website) but here lies the problem......if its poor weather, the session is cancelled,

so with me working shifts, sods law, often miss out when the weather is nice. 

I really must get down to a Belper meet too. Keep an eye on the EMS meets section for information.

I have some nice binocs you can check out, and i'll set up my binoviewer on my refractor / SCT as well.

Guest northernstar

Hi Rob, another up for it great! As far as society meets, I haven't made it to any yet so you wouldn't have seen me anyway! Look forward to meeting up sometime in the future.