• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Obsy Build....... Episode IV A New Hope.........

Perkil8r

I'm sure you will have thought of this Mike, but it might be worth considering putting all your cables in a conduit underneath the decking rather than on top as a trip hazard.

Just a thought, or maybe you have planned it differently.

Good weather this evening and all day tomorrow for you. :)

There will only be the one cable to consider which is the USB which I will plug in as needed. It's only a sort of temporary obsy that will come down during the summer months and go up as needed during winter. The power will still be supplied via the 12v battery box which will live inside the removable shed structure while needed and go on charge after a session via the outside socket just across the path. It's all right up at the other end of the garden from the house and not in an area that gets used day to day. I am trying to think of a better way to do it though. I am wondering if I might be able to make some sort of waterproof box thing to keep the ends of wires in under a flap in the floor to make things easier and tidier. I've not quite got my head around it yet to be honest. I do have a small channel I might be able to use that crosses the path, failing that I do have half of another plan but at the minute it is all just random thoughts.

You will find various types of waterproof box on ebay, Amazon or electrical retailers, and with a bit of thought have it nicely hidden when not in use. :thumbsup:

Possibly yes. I am toying with the idea of building some sort of mains powered power box for the mount etc. They do a 20A Rainproof LED power pack thing for around £17 which would give enough juice but I need to think about how to feed it safely and how to store it when not in use. I think I have a plan for getting power from the socket outside to the shed in a safe manner but then my plans fall a bit flat.

Just make sure you have an RCD somewhere in the line to protect you and the gear. 

The armoured cable out to the outside socket is on an RCD of its own on the distribution board.

mike, i have a 10 mm steel plate about a foot square if that any good to you, rusty strings got me two pieces when i built my pier and i used it for a top plate, your welcome to it.

Thanks Rob but I have no plans to need any. Thanks for the offer though :)

Finished work early so popped to B&Q to pick up concrete stuff for posts etc and then to wickes for timber. After unloading the 300kg of ballast and cement and the timber I was in the mood for digging :facepalm:

Have made some progress this afternoon and hope to continue tomorrow:

11214074_10153259978768917_1912613425627

• Like 1

It's annoying me that the fence is not level, the deck will be but alas it will not look like it :unsure:

Made a huge amount of progress today thanks to Steve coming round and egging me on and doing a cracking job of mixing concrete, he is the man! Bacon butties and a 'nana at half time helped along the way. The frame is almost complete now, just needs a couple more joists putting in and a couple of legs in the middle to stop any springiness. The first pillar of the three is in and I can assure you it is going nowhere with a good 30 or 40 kg of concrete round it!

22224_10153262505083917_3062269284791690

20126_10153262505228917_313656626002877011059664_10153262505288917_3301639140614

A bit more mix round the two remaining pillars and we are ready for weed fabric and a covering of stone. The last two pillars need aligning so the idea is to let the first one go off fully then rest them on steel stock 6mm thick on top of the bearers, they will dangle while I pop the mount on top of them and wait for dark to polar align it roughly. Then leave it for daylight and fill them in with mix. The first one is in and will finish flush with the top of the deck boards. It's all as level as I can get it and it is pretty damned close!

Its taking shape now Mike! You must be a happy chappie!

It looks well thought out.

That shiny new spade is working well!

I hope you get a clear sky tonight to set up polar,

Decided to get the concrete mixing done and out of the way so now the last two legs are in the ground for keeps. Had a level on each one, all level in all axis and then between them all and all are level with each other, not an easy task by any stretch but will be worth it. I doubt they are going anywhere, there is about 40 Kg of concrete around each one!

11295761_10153264315208917_8751649316156 

Excellent Mike, hopefully all these clouds will have gone by the time you have got all your decking etc done!!!

Finished work early today so had a couple of hours or four laying weed control fabric and sieving the old stones and washing the mud off them to stop weed growth. Then added the remaining two joists and supports.

1780918_10153270455928917_54363639375699

All ready for a quick splash of wood preserver and then start on the decking boards. I will add a few supports around the tripod piles first though, hopefully on Friday when I am again finishing early.

Nice progress Mike. Brings to mind a Bernard Cribbins song

#

You cant dig there

Dig it elsewhere

Your digging it round and it ought to be square

#

:D

Edited by philjay

Know it well Phil :thumbsup: was singing it in my head actually this afternoon!

Despite toothache etc I have applied the strengthening supports and painted the lot in treatment. I think it might be suitably over engineered now :lol:

11377339_10153280139028917_3802083661865

10408717_10153280139138917_8170247717214

Fingers crossed to start laying the deck boards tomorrow that were purchased on an offer of 4 for 3 yesterday, now that was lucky timing!

Looks ace Mike! Well thought out...

Won't be long now, before its done. 👌

Thanks folks.

Ron, I broke a tooth a few years back which has been largely okay but recently has been flaring up from time to time. Yesterday it started to swell my gum / face a bit so went to the emergency dentist who tried to freeze it to pull it but sadly couldn't freeze it enough due to the inflammation. I tried to cope with the pain but alas he couldn't pull it. Now on antibiotics to get the swelling down so I can try again. Not to bad now though and slept like a log for the first time in a week last night :thumbsup: 

It is looking great Mike. :thumbsup:

Like the way you've trimmed the joists around the tripod supports.

I can sympathise about the toothache, the pain can be so intense.