• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New forum upgrade issues / questions.

Daz Type-R

i know SGL have this on theirs (time limit) but I thought we could alter anytime if you want to correct a mistake??

The time limit has been there for a while, since before this upgrade in fact. It was put there when a certain former member started replacing his post content with full stops, removing content and rendering the forum full of useless content.

I could certainly look to increase the time - but it would be up to the Staff if they wanted the limit removing completely. Most forums enforce a limit, mainly to avoid exactly what happened to us.

may be nice to have a longer limit, but what is the limit at the moment :wacko: 

Edited by Sheila

It was put in to stop a very specific sabotage, so the idea was to allow corrections of typos but limit longer term editing.

As I say though, it's down to the Staff to give me direction. I can increase the limit or I can remove it entirely. From my point of view, it's 5 minutes work to do either. :) 

It does make sense why you've done it that way.

I can live with 5 minutes. But a little longer would be nice. In case of any embarrassing typos :blush:

I don't really want to remove it completely for the reasons stated above, but I do understand 5 minutes isn't long enough, so maybe a compromise and increase it to 10 minutes.

I'll run it pass the other admins and mods and see what I can do.

I just find its usually well after that i spot a mistake, probably when i go back to look at a post someone has

made in answer to mine and realise my original post needs changing :lol: (spelling/mistake in content)  10 mins is really not much better then 5 minutes

but if that is what it has to be.  Seems a shame because of one person we all suffer :( 

There was a 15 minute downtime tonight - apologies for no notice, but it was a security update so I have to apply it as quickly as possible. :) 

1 hour ago, Craig said:

There was a 15 minute downtime tonight - apologies for no notice, but it was a security update so I have to apply it as quickly as possible. :) 

I take it you'd received intelligence about an imminent cyber attack :o

7 minutes ago, Tweedledee said:

I take it you'd received intelligence about an imminent cyber attack :o

Not quite. :lol: 

Typically exploits that are addressed in patches are used in the wild very quickly, to try to beat the patching taking place. I always do security patches the day they are released. :) 

20 minutes ago, Craig said:

Not quite. :lol: 

Typically exploits that are addressed in patches are used in the wild very quickly, to try to beat the patching taking place. I always do security patches the day they are released. :) 

I'm sure it can save a lot of hassle by acting quickly. Cheers :2thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

Hi Darren tried to pay for the dark site but would not do it

Stephen

This should be fixed now. :) 

1 minute ago, Brantuk said:

My banner is still the same Mick - no animation at all.

So is mine - but i like that ! Is it because we use the non default theme - sidebar remove version ? 

3 minutes ago, stash said:

So is mine - but i like that ! Is it because we use the non default theme - sidebar remove version ? 

I don't think so - the animation was working fine until now - even though I have the sidebar turned off.

Just now, Brantuk said:

I don't think so - the animation was working fine until now - even though I have the sidebar turned off.

Mine stopped today and I have been using the side bar removed for a couple of days - just wondered if they have removed it from the sidebar theme only. Dare say they will find the reason.

Guys, sent Craig a message, hopefully he will see it soon and investigate.

Sorry about this.

:( 

Edited by Daz Type-R

10 hours ago, Brantuk said:

The animated banner at the top of my main page has stopped working - it's just dark brown now fyi. :)

56 minutes ago, Brantuk said:

My banner is still the same Mick - no animation at all.

53 minutes ago, stash said:

49 minutes ago, Brantuk said:

46 minutes ago, stash said:

Mine stopped today and I have been using the side bar removed for a couple of days - just wondered if they have removed it from the sidebar theme only. Dare say they will find the reason.

Please check again. I made a change following today's security update. (I think the update has caused the issue.)

30 minutes ago, philjay said:

Images in the post, says 0.5MB max total file size, rejects even a 29kb image

I'm looking into this now.