• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Obsy build ..time to make a move

Brady

That's going to be a great project. Keeps us up to date on that one please :thumbsup:

A few years ago, I built a 3 metre domed obsy using one of those Black and Decker Scorpion saws. They replaced the saw twice under warranty as I'd given it so much hammer! ;)

You have the same flagstones as me ;)

I have never had an obsy but I know a few people who have one and they rave about them. They really raise your enjoyment for the hobby to the next level.

Keep posting photo's and do a build log, quite a lot of our members will be interested in this.

Good start Wayne, it will be worth all thei work in the end.

Anything you can do to make it quicker and easier to start an observing session - and aid a quick shut down afterwards is worth all the effort.

You will get more sessions on the scope and you will be more comfortable too. ?

Keep us all posted!

No plum jam though this year ?

You've been a busy man! Looking good so far, keep up the photo's it may help others who are thinking of doing an obsy!

Cheers

Ron

You have a big job on your hands especially with the weather we are having, you can get tar creosote from Melton market on a Tuesday, which is better than the modern

equivalent and last's much longer. :brr:

Thanks guys will keep you posted, its going to take a while with the weather and all but im in no rush now..i believe "One small step" is what they used to say...:)

This is gonna be great Wayne. I only have a roll off shed and that has made things so much easier and therefore better for me personally. A dedicated obsy with warm room is gonna be fantastic. Look forward to rest of pics of progress.

With a change from the rain i thought i would start the shed base today, as mentioned the plan was to use up any of the old timber from the last build, i set myself a target of getting it all screwed up today ready for planting tomorrow, up to now it's going to plan.

I decided on using threaded bar with locking nuts for the supports, this makes the shed base adjustable to level off after any settling, also i mentioned i cut corners on the last build, well basicly the timber went straight into the ground and after only a few years the water started eating at it even with a few coats of the creocote so this time it's a no no..

The supports will sit around 200mm in the ground with the help of postcrete so with the quick drying it might give me time to get the floorboards down too but i think this weekend thats wishful thinking..

After a trip to screwfix for a new saw blade it was an 8.30 start

20160213_093934_zpsw85wpbm2.jpg

Managed to get the feet on for a trial fit before creocote...

20160213_140644_zpsfmolxfvt.jpg

The wife calls it an aluminium bistro table...i call it a makeshift welding table....that is until i got caught..

20160213_125306_zpsu8tv9hlf.jpg

A few of the legs tacked up..

20160213_132146_zpsf9tfompl.jpg

The postcrete will come to just below the locking nuts then when it's gone off the top nut is removed and the nuts are nipped up until the threaded bar sinks into the timber, leaving it flush at the top and level all round, then floorboards over the top to cover the holes.

20160213_140701_zpsxx4vcnhn.jpg

Coated up ready for tomorrow..nine small holes for the supports and the hole for the pier...dreading that one...

20160213_161947_zpsll0taben.jpg

• Like 2

Cheers guys, well its in and so is the pier, ive left the pier as it came until the shed is built up then i will cut it down to size, so tomorrow remove bolts, final level then floorboards, im done for this long weekend :lazy2:

There was a few changes to the plan while i was painting it yesterday...one was i liked the look of where it was while i was painting it to be honest so i set it in where it was, the original idea was the pier to be pretty much where it is now with the warm room to the left if you know what i mean and number two the shed design has shifted from an apex to a pent design..i did say nothing was planned in..;)

And Martyn you was right about the back :thumbsup:

20160214_163050444_zpsy2pat9mc.jpg

Edited by Brady

don`t know how i missed this thread, looks a real solid start to the build, there are loads of things to think about when building something like this, i put my build off for 2 years as i couldn`t make up my mind and couldn`t decide on what to do as you know there are some many different details to consider, one thing i do know is that when your finished you`ll be very glad you did it, makes it so much more enjoyable when it`s freezing outside.

if you need any help or would like to view my build and exchange tips and get ideas then i`d be more than happy to let you view it.

there are some pictures of my build on my webpage below.

as for insulation i didn`t bother, can`t really see what the purpose of it is, with a roll off roof the obsy is never going to be air tight and why would you want a warm scope, you only have to let it cool down again, and a small warm room with a small heater is more than enough to keep you toastie. 

you might need to think about cabling to the pier also as it might be a pain now the boards are down, i put in one double socket attached to the pier and 3 active and one normal usb cables, having access to them every so often is very useful. 

Thanks for the praise guys, always appreciated ;) funny enough Rob i was going to give you a shout in a week or two regarding the roof build, as for the cables the only one under the floor will be the 12v supply from the warm room to the 12v sockets which will be attached to the pier the same as my current set-up, all other usb cables will run down to the floor then across to the warm room under a Universal Cable Protector, shown below.. two reasons...1 for easy access and cable changing, crushed one to many usb cables already and 2 which is more important to me is i really dont have any patience at all with getting wrapped up in cables so when the imaging equipment gets put away and i go on a few "visual" missions everything including the cables can get put away for a while and it wont take long to set back up again, i know that sounds a bit contradictive after all the whole idea of an observatory, for me anyway is to reduce the set up time in the first place but i also like my space especially at 2 in the morning :) well thats the theory anyway 

small_0-cabb-cabling_zpsnrd2hj8y.jpg

13 hours ago, Brady said:

Thanks for the praise guys, always appreciated ;) funny enough Rob i was going to give you a shout in a week or two regarding the roof build, as for the cables the only one under the floor will be the 12v supply from the warm room to the 12v sockets which will be attached to the pier the same as my current set-up, all other usb cables will run down to the floor then across to the warm room under a Universal Cable Protector, shown below.. two reasons...1 for easy access and cable changing, crushed one to many usb cables already and 2 which is more important to me is i really dont have any patience at all with getting wrapped up in cables so when the imaging equipment gets put away and i go on a few "visual" missions everything including the cables can get put away for a while and it wont take long to set back up again, i know that sounds a bit contradictive after all the whole idea of an observatory, for me anyway is to reduce the set up time in the first place but i also like my space especially at 2 in the morning :) well thats the theory anyway 

small_0-cabb-cabling_zpsnrd2hj8y.jpg

Wayne - we used that protected shielding a lot in IT until it was banned on health and safety - people kept tripping up on them!  But they are better than trailing wires - just.  Love the build by the way.

Edited by stash

Cheers Clive, it was my IT department that came up with the idea :lol: well im open to options until the install day in which case i will drape the buggers over my shoulder if i have to :)