• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Obsy build ..time to make a move

Brady

1 hour ago, Brady said:

Cheers Clive, it was my IT department that came up with the idea :lol: well im open to options until the install day in which case i will drape the buggers over my shoulder if i have to :)

:facepalm: :evil:  - Tut Tut on your IT dept. Trained ferret and a drain pipe to thread the wires under the floorboards :D

Well im sorry to say guys the rain has beat me, normally i can put up with a soaking but weekend after weekend with slipping about in mud/wet grass and im starting to kick drills and hammers about with a sulk on so im having an afternoon off, i did mange to get the frame cut and put together this morning though but failed to clad it out or get in the horizontal supports for the framing,  job for Monday if i can get a day off work...

I have also decided that im going to board out the roof with OSB3, for a start they are waterproof and will be a lot lighter than T&G, also quicker to put up, doesnt need to look fancy with 2 rolls of felt over it..

Clive my gals guinea pig is giving me the dead eye, must be clicking on that something is afoot..:ph34r:

20160220_144553_zpsppr90oxq.jpg

20160220_144838_zpsyjgwrhqk.jpg

Edited by Brady
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Brady said:

Clive my gals guinea pig is giving me the dead eye, must be clicking on that something is afoot.

just tie the cables to the/a harness on the guinea pig stick it's favorite food down the end (something smelly) and off he/she will go - hell you could take bets on how long before it appears at the other end - just make sure the local cat isn't around else its spare ribs for dinner :D

If the Guinea pig gets stuck, a helping hand from a vacuum cleaner on the other end works a treat, just turn it off when you hear a thud. :lol:

Coming on nicely Wayne. For the roof felt make sure you go for the heavy duty bitumen backed 4mm stuff. I used OSB for my roll off astroshed roof and I also painted it with bitumen paint and whilst that was still wet laid the heavy duty felt on top and tacked it in place. Not had one leak yet in just over a year.

I know what you mean Felix, i was looking to felt to keep the cost down but was also looking at GRP kits which after a couple of rolls of decent felt isnt that far off with the cost, i had my flat roof extension done with it a few years back, cant praise it enough, and its light..will have to count up some pennies when the time comes :facepalm:

Edited by Brady

GRP is not totally watertight - GRP suffers from Osmosis (Google it ) as people with GRP boats have found - Having said that it takes years to effect the wood beneath if done right. You could use metal sheeting (zinc or powder coated steel) which I think Red Darf(Rob) used and then just add foam insulator - a bit more work maybe. 

Indeed I have a metal sheet roof, to me I think it has some advantages, one being that it's not flush at the eves therefore letting air flow though which helps with mold or condensation, I've not haf any mold at all and the metal roof attracts the condensation and then any build up runs down though the gaps onrte eves and out into the gutters

I looked into problems with grp before i had the house extension on and come to the conclusion that the problem with osmosis was continuous contact with water, i think some builders say fresh water was more harmful than salt but the problem was never found on buildings unless the work was very shoddy and then only very limited..if my obsy roof was in contact with water for that long im jacking in :lol:,  the resin suppliers offer 25 year guarantee on the products as a minimum now as with my roof at home, im 8 years in so will see..thanks for the options guys :thumbsup: 

2 hours ago, Brady said:

I looked into problems with grp before i had the house extension on and come to the conclusion that the problem with osmosis was continuous contact with water, i think some builders say fresh water was more harmful than salt but the problem was never found on buildings unless the work was very shoddy and then only very limited..if my obsy roof was in contact with water for that long im jacking in :lol:,  the resin suppliers offer 25 year guarantee on the products as a minimum now as with my roof at home, im 8 years in so will see..thanks for the options guys :thumbsup: 

Did say they problem  was slowsmosis :facepalm: :D

Well by the end of play today i had managed to get the cladding on the back and sides, even managed a thin coat of protector on as well, i nailed the loglap on with sheridized annular ring nails which should keep them on for a while,i cant finish the front yet as im waiting on a few glass panels that i can choose from but unfortunately the father in law is on his holidays until the end of next week, then the week after that having new glass in a few windows, so as soon as the fitter turns up i get a window...so...a 2 week window :facepalm:..im still unsure which way to have the roof as yet, the original plan was to have it rolling forward but that will mean the weight is across the 3 meter span so will assume it will sag due to the timber not being the thickest, option one is to have rollers in the centre of the build, not on the roof but upside down fixed to the shed itself as support, the other option is to have the roof running along the right of the build which will be on the 2 meter span, this will also create the roof for the warm room, although it will eat into the garden a bit more and the plum tree gets even shorter but i have been given the go ahead by swmbo....i have a week to decide as the supports are next in line:thumbsup: 

20160222_170916_zpsfym7saae.jpg

20160222_170902_zpsxuyqbukv.jpg

I thought i would make the most of the weekends weather and managed to get the support posts and 99% of the roof done, just needs boarding out, got 4 OSB3 boards on order for the coming weekend so all being well that part of the build should be complete weather permitting, im still waiting on the glass so cant finish the front off as yet, its getting a bit of a drag now because if the glass was here last week i could be watertight for this weekend....but cant complain most things have gone to plan, i did set the support posts in with the same arrangement as the build i.e. on threaded bar for future adjustment...this did not go to plan, after all was nailed up the whole structure had a severe wobble to it so out came the spade and i had to dig it all out...the posts are now set directly into the ground which is what i should of done to start with...live and learn

20160228_134845_zpsvoclkbii.jpg

20160228_134855_zps1h1cemyb.jpg

20160228_134925_zpsw5smstyp.jpg

Right then with the weather being fine over the weekend and a sly holiday in for today i cracked on a bit to get as much done as possible, priority was to get watertight which i think i may have achieved today...only the rain can prove that but after the amount we have had lately i can wait a bit longer..

Thanks to Rob for the info on the wheels which are now fitted and doing there thing, i was undecided whether to use angle or channel for this but found that 21mm uni strut is a perfect fit...with a bit of modification ;) you can buy the channel without the cut outs but you do have to drill it of coarse, with the countersink the screws sit snug

All in all im about there for the build, i still have the door to make but im out of timber, should be sorted at the weekend and there is some trim and staining to do, i will give it all a once over when these are complete...then onto the warm room and electrics....seems an age since the scope was out :(

Very pleased with the outcome so far, still well within the budget although some things cost more than i expected, simple things like fixings/hinges/locks all add up so anyone thinking of building one add these into your budget..onward and upward...:thumbsup:

20160307_165510_zpst6ykl5ib.jpg

20160307_165521_zpslkncbory.jpg

20160307_165623_zps2wlitatu.jpg

20160307_165630_zpsrw4y6ujp.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Brady said:

Right then with the weather being fine over the weekend and a sly holiday in for today i cracked on a bit to get as much done as possible, priority was to get watertight which i think i may have achieved today...only the rain can prove that but after the amount we have had lately i can wait a bit longer..

Thanks to Rob for the info on the wheels which are now fitted and doing there thing, i was undecided whether to use angle or channel for this but found that 21mm uni strut is a perfect fit...with a bit of modification ;) you can buy the channel without the cut outs but you do have to drill it of coarse, with the countersink the screws sit snug

All in all im about there for the build, i still have the door to make but im out of timber, should be sorted at the weekend and there is some trim and staining to do, i will give it all a once over when these are complete...then onto the warm room and electrics....seems an age since the scope was out :(

Very pleased with the outcome so far, still well within the budget although some things cost more than i expected, simple things like fixings/hinges/locks all add up so anyone thinking of building one add these into your budget..onward and upward...:thumbsup:

20160307_165510_zpst6ykl5ib.jpg

20160307_165521_zpslkncbory.jpg

20160307_165623_zps2wlitatu.jpg

20160307_165630_zpsrw4y6ujp.jpg

Your making great progress.

• 3 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Brady said:

Coming up to the final stages now and thought it would be easier with a short video instead...well actually ive never tried it before so here goes :)

This is the final image unless anyone wants anything in particular, im hopefully goes to set the stones in and re grass over this weekend and get some flowers and shrubs scattered about as i promised...a bit of trim around the door and we are done..

20160327_113244_zps1kkb9r2r.jpg

VIDEO

Looks brilliant Wayne you must be proud - except where's the all important drinks dispenser Hot and Cold :D

Great looking obsy and warm room! Great setup too! Well done! ?

it was a good idea to do the video Wayne, the narrative was spot on too!

I can see you are itching to put it all to good use, I hope you get a chance soon.

It would be good to see the Obs roof open when the winds have died down. Another video would be great!

thanks for sharing.

cheers!