• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

DIY mount.

T A WOW

Hello everyone.

After dealing with the utter rubbish that is my celestron astro master 130 mount I have decided to design and manufacture my own (seeing as I have the materials and ability (hopefully) to do so)

I am currently only in the planning stage of this and I already have a rough idea of what I want to do.

I do however require a bit of help for this little community.

I was wondering if anyone on here who has a NEQ6 mount would be able to get a photo or any info off the motors used in the mount, also if possible a picture of how the gears are arranged. (I know it's a 1:705 ratio, but I'm curious about how many, if any, gears it has)

I'm not in any particular rush to complete this project. I figure it'll probably take a year or so to do properly.

Thanks for any help everyone.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• T A WOW

• catman161

• Doc

• BAZ

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Kheldar

Maybe touching a contentious issue here, but if you're going to design and build your own mount, why start with the limitations of the 6?

Good luck with this project. I have loads of plans on scrap bits of paper on dobsonian mounts, one of which as far as I know is a brand new idea, compact but will be able to support a very big mirror. Just need the time and money to build it.

Good luck on yours.

The only reason I've asked for motor details of the 6 is to get a rough idea of how much torque I might need. My design should hold comfortably alot more weight than the 6 but it's been along time since uni and I've pretty much forgot how to calculate torque and inertia and all the other jazz.

You should be able to find all the formulas for that online these days - never had that when I was at Uni lol.

Actually - I reckon if you can make something that'll support 12" - 16" newts with astrophotography accuracy that sells around £2k - £2.5k you'll get rich very very quickly. Loads of luck Tobias :)

Slowly getting my head around what I need to do. Managed to sort out the motors needed, once I've got them I can properly start the design process.

Slowly getting my head around what I need to do. Managed to sort out the motors needed, once I've got them I can properly start the design process.

I am intrigued by this project Tobias. Be sure to keep us updated and upload your progress. I for one will buy one off you if it's a success and you plan on making them to order :)

Well Tobias I can offer you any help you might need right up to the point that I got stuck.

The issue of torque needed is very little.

If the mount is correctly balanced and you are using high quality bearings the amount of torque needed to rotate the mount is virtually zero.

I designed an EQ mount a while back that will carry a 30 inch newt with ease.

!00mm diameter axis shafts with double tapered needle roller bearings top and bottom.

All Alumimium construction.

It is driven using Nema 23 stepper motors.

The point I have got stuck at is the electronics.

You will need to design the goto / tracking side of things.

I was toying with the idea of using a Synscan kit for the brains and get someone to design me a circuit so the 12 volt Synscan unit can drive the 24 volt motors.

Still best of luck with it.

Graham

Well Tobias I can offer you any help you might need right up to the point that I got stuck.

The issue of torque needed is very little.

If the mount is correctly balanced and you are using high quality bearings the amount of torque needed to rotate the mount is virtually zero.

I designed an EQ mount a while back that will carry a 30 inch newt with ease.

!00mm diameter axis shafts with double tapered needle roller bearings top and bottom.

All Alumimium construction.

It is driven using Nema 23 stepper motors.

The point I have got stuck at is the electronics.

You will need to design the goto / tracking side of things.

I was toying with the idea of using a Synscan kit for the brains and get someone to design me a circuit so the 12 volt Synscan unit can drive the 24 volt motors.

Still best of luck with it.

Graham

I never knew you made a mount graham? Do you still have it? Are you planning on finishing it at some point?

Sid you manage to get back any of your metal work equipment in the end? How's things going, any better?

Haven't got the motors yet, just sorted out what I needed. Managed to find them by searching google images for neq6 motors. From a company called Sanyo-denki (I think). Looking at bearings now. Need to do some research before I buy any. Thankfully they're not that expensive so I can afford some trial and error.

I never knew you made a mount graham? Do you still have it? Are you planning on finishing it at some point?

Sid you manage to get back any of your metal work equipment in the end? How's things going, any better?

Hi Felix.

I will get to finish it one day.

It is tucked away at my friends company for safe keeping.

For now I am heading off to the bankruptcy courts care of this bloody building firm.

So it will be back to work for someone else for a bit until I get my discharge.

That will come hard after 15 years working for myself.

Fear not Astrotec will be back at some point.

Thanks

Graham

• 2 weeks later...

This is getting expensive. Sorted out the gearing to get the correct (almost) 705:1 ratio. (705:1.012 close enough)

£210 for the RA and DEC axis about £200 for the carbon fibre I need. £330 for the motors, controller and mother board. So far £60 of aluminium (that's just for the tripod)

It will be epic though. (I hope) expensive cock up if I don't get it right.

• 2 weeks later...