• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

DIY mount.

T A WOW

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• T A WOW

• catman161

• Doc

• BAZ

Top Posters In This Topic

Pictures of the top of the tripod where the mount will sit.

attachicon.gif20121213_181323_resized_1.jpg

Snip........

took me about 4 hours to programme and machine

Snip...........

:blink: I admire your patience and your skill.

I had to go back to the start of this thread to read it through, truly inspiring. What telescope will sit on the mount?...... something Carbon Fibre??

Paul

Should be buying a skywatcher 250p ds next week. Unfortunately not carbon fibre, but still a nice OTA.

May be able to mod it at some point so the tube is carbon, but that's probably a pipe dream as a single bit of carbon tubing that size would probably cost me about £600.

Got it all put togeter now. Not properly though, just push fit together.

picture of tripod with legs open.

picture of tripod with legs closed.

the masking tape at the bottom is just to hold the feet on as they were a loose fit on the lower carbon legs, so they fall of at the mo.

enjoy.

> picture of tripod with legs open.

Probably says more about me. I laughed at that.

Regards.

Guest roblynmouth

Many years ago, those of us in awe of what you have done, would be nodding sagely and then turning to our own lathes and doing the same, or something like it.

Today, people like you are as rare as rocking horse droppings.

You young man are the last of a dying breed, lost to modernisation and progress. I hope that the whole plan comes to fruition and I am sure complex equations and algorithms required to make your plan come true, will be like shelling peas.

BTW, you do no with skills like that, and the market you are in, you never be in need of a job, and if you arn't working for yourself you should be. Also loved the reasoning for using carbon, way to go.

Edited by roblynmouth

Kind words thank you. If I do manage to make the mount and it works well I would think about producing them, with a mind to setting up a business. That's probably a way off though.

Last little bit of the tripod. I  made some new bolts to hold the botom legs in place

pic

got them chemically blackened to add a bit of contrast between plain aluminium legs and plain stainless bolts.

so thats it for the tripod. thread will probably go quiet for a fair while now while I do mods to my new scope and get to working out what I need to do for the mount proper.

enjoy

Well young Man from one Astro engineer to another ' that is none too shabby'.

you must be well pleased -- great job Tobias

Lovely finishing touch there Toby. Absolutely great job, I would be proud for my entire life if I ever made anything of that high a quality. Mad skillz mate. Can't wait to see it in the flesh. Look forward to the mount thread :)

That is a really tidy job there Toby. Not only does it look fantastic, but is a one off that will serve you well for years to come.