• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

DIY mount.

T A WOW

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• T A WOW

• catman161

• Doc

• BAZ

Top Posters In This Topic

We have big lathes at work but even though I'm apprentice trained fitter/turner we aren't allowed to use them. I say trained up, I haven't done any metal work for a good 20 years.

Pretty much all I do all day everyday is metal work. I mainly programme, set and operate big CNC mills, 3, 4, and 5 axis. Don't do much turning usually

Depends, if it's a one off it's often faster to do it manual, cnc needs the programme writing, datums setting, tool lengths setting etc etc.

Those look great Tobias. Awesome that your job let you use the equipment after working hours. I look forward to seeing the finished article. What kind of timeline do you have in mind for completion of the whole project?

The whole project could be quite a while. The tripod should be done hopefully before or just after Xmas.

I still haven't finalised the design for the mount yet and still need to do a fair bit more research yet. Hopefully it should be similar in operation to the new skywatcher eq/alt Az mount. But I currently know next to nothing about how to do polar alignment, and auto guiding and many more things. So I need to learn more about that before I start really nailing down the design.

So yeah could be a while, but I'll keep on updating this thread as I progress and need more questions answered.

Sounds fantastic Tobias :) It's one hell of a project. I like how you're going for the EQ/alt design too. If ya gonna do something, go the whole hog! Like I said I watch this project with real anticipation. I'm prob not the only one either :)

ordered the carbon fibre tubes for the legs today and a skyTee 2.

hopefully they'll both arrive tomorrow. Once the skytee is here I can sort out the top of the tripod.

just 16 more parts to make for the tripod now.

yay

Edited by T A WOW

Yeah me too. I just hope it works well.

I've still not finalised the leg tops yet. Looking at lots of different tripods to decide how to do it

• 2 weeks later...

Pictures of the top of the tripod where the mount will sit.

still need to put the holes through for the top of the legs to attach. I'll do that tommoz

machined from a 152mm diameter billet.

took me about 4 hours to programme and machine

surface finish in the weight saving slot isnt great, but i was using worn tooling so can't complain.

13 more bits make to finish the tripod. 10 of them are pretty small so won't take much time/effort

Edited by T A WOW

Thats looking very tidy to me Tobias :) Great stuff . Make sure you announce when youre ready to gve it first light and we can all gather!

These look fantastic Tobias.

Just out of curiosity, if I went down to my local machine shop how much do you think they would charge to make something like your tripod head.

Thanks.

Difficult to say what they would charge you. The material cost me £30 ish and it took about 4 hours to make, but I did it in an arse about way as I didn't have access to the 4th axis.

Typical machine rates are about £40 per hour. I can only hazard a guess how long it would take someone else. But I reckon you'd get charged a £300 at the least for a 1 off.

So to get a whole tripod built is going to be circa £600 at least, quite a bit of money, but then it's a fair bit of work involved.

pictures of the carbon fibre for the legs.

the larger is 54mm diameter, the smaller is 45mm diameter.

• 2 weeks later...

Picture of the spreader for the leg supports.

and just for fun, a picture of it on the machine.

you can clearly see loads :-)

Made from 62mm diameter billet.

Took bloody ages to make for something so small

more to come tomorrow.

Edited by T A WOW