• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Brownies

Guest CodnorPaul

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Perkil8r

• tuckstar

• BAZ

• Brantuk

I was thinking the distance between the planets was interesting for me, not the brownies :)

I also have a CRB for what they are worth.

We probably have some very gifted people who would be up for helping who don't have a CRB, can they still help out? It would be a shame to exclude people who could bring enthusiasm and knowledge.

James

Think that is up to the brownies. But I wouldn't of thought it would be needed for speakers, more for their leaders, just gives peace of mind, like you say, for what its worth.

To my understanding as long as non-CRB folks are fine as long as not on their own with kiddy winks. CRB has to be specific to the role being executed at the time anyway, so technically mine wouldn't be valid for the Brownies. I only mentioned it in passing :lol:

Guest CodnorPaul

Excellent thanks everyone - date will be 25th October ideally, and CRBs not required as we will not be responsible for any kids, leave that to the leaders. They've changed the rules again now anyway - it is no good to say someone may be in contact with a child, they have to have that specific job role now.

Will get specific details and post them - but your ideas are great so far!

It all depends which Friday so I couldn't confirm until I know the date - and I'm always on call so it depends if I get called out as well.

But if I'm free on that date - I can bring an Orrery with all the planets, in relative sizes, and at relative distances to exhibit and chat about as a side show rather than a talk. It's electronic so I'd need an electric socket, and it can be set at two speeds (sidereal and something like 4x sidereal) so you can actually see the planets moving (speeded up) but at their relative speeds. The sun in the middle is the only object out of scale cos it's a tad small - but it's a talking point.

Here's a link to the model: http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo8/JackLRose/CompletedSolarSystem-1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://buildthebismark.proboards.com/thread/1923&h=768&w=654&sz=48&tbnid=wSfp-Dr5K-E4xM:&tbnh=95&tbnw=81&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dbuild%2Ba%2Bmodel%2Bsolar%2Bsystem%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=build+a+model+solar+system&usg=__4Npp4KAzedmyNOvBdcaDWj_KcpI=&docid=D1tgIUTFalBA7M&sa=X&ei=LKsZUvTMHsW70QWc9YGICQ&sqi=2&ved=0CF0Q9QEwBw&dur=2936#imgdii=wSfp-Dr5K-E4xM%3A%3BBuYOIs3yoTRlAM%3BwSfp-Dr5K-E4xM%3A

• 1 month later...
Guest CodnorPaul

Following a successful night with Ibbo in the planetarium which the Brownies loved it is getting closer to 25th October so need to start sorting out plan.  I was thinking we could bring scopes if it is clear (there is a space to set up out the back I believe), and then do some of the above suggestions, maybe get some of the pictures from here of basic nebula and galaxies to explain a little about them, and then hopefully get them out to look at a few objects.

So - can you good people please confirm attendance, confirm thoughts on the plan, and if anyone is comfortable speaking to the group of 22 girls in their language?  Not sure I have the knowledge or the understanding of talking to 7 and 8 year olds to get the message across really (any budding teachers among you?)

Hi Paul, I'm no good at speaking brownie, and there's far more knowledgeable people than me on here, but I'm still available with a scope if you want a hand.

I can come if you need numbers, but i am meant to be elsewhere if not.

I'm not very knowledgeable about anything, but i can do some research.

Let me know if imm needed.

James

Guest CodnorPaul

Evening all - thank you to all for your responses and offers to help :)  :notworthy:

The current weather forecast is not so good for Friday.  I will check again Wednesday but if it still looks poor then maybe we could postpone and plan to go again in Nov/Dec when hopefully we can have a clear sky and get some wow factor going with the girls.  I would just leave it until a few days before to get a forecast.

Thank you again and I will confirm Wednesday whether it looks on or not.

I know someone who has done astro badge for the cubs. I'll ask him if he would be interested in helping out. He is a new dark site member but won't see him before Friday, but if it postponed.....

Guest CodnorPaul

Thanks Andy - we did have Ibbo with his planetarium there so a lot of the criteria has been completed, just a few simple things to finish really, but the plan was to get the girls to actually do some astro and hopefully get them interested going forward

Guest CodnorPaul

After Ibbo's trip with the planetarium you should see the work some of the Brownies have put into their badge - I have just seen a full top trumps style game with facts about all the planets, the moon, and some basic solar system items, in full colour I might add, AND a childrens mobile with phases of the moon, the north star, and a few other bits on it.  I think the interest has been kindled, which makes me more determined to find a clear night for getting some scopes out with them.  Great news - and thanks Steve!

Oh, and in more news - last couple of years my daughter has been speaking about the things she has seen through my scope at school, and the teachers have shown an interest - now my son (4 year old) has come home from reception with an astro related homework for the holidays!  Look in the night sky and describe what you can see, count how many stars, etc.  I hope more schools take the night sky more seriously and actually spend a little time teaching children the place in the universe.

One happy father... :D

Great stuff Paul! I don't know about other schools, but ours (the same one I went to as a student all those years ago) now do quite a lot on Astronomy, including an Astronomy GCSE. They certainly didn't do anything like that in my day! If they had I think my life may have taken a very different direction. On the whole I think the UK is gearing more towards this now, and I for one think it's a good thing. It is the next potential area for growth in the UK economy you watch! 

I thought what you both did for the Brownies the other week was fab, I hope it sparks the imagination in those young minds, if we can spark the imagination at that early stage who knows what they might go on to achieve. I for one salute you both for your efforts :thumbsup:

It's a shame the weather didn't play ball for last night, but there will be other nights, plus last night wouldn't have been the best anyway as the Moon wasn't up til late, and for young people it can be hard to spark the imagination with a faint smudge in the middle of an eyepiece, so maybe it was for the best anyway ;) Just keep us informed and if I'm free I'll be there as too I am sure will a few others :)