• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Leisure battery charging

dawson

Had been looking at the CTEK MSX 5. Quite expensive but I assume it would charge faster than the above?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dawson

• Daz Type-R

• Johnnyaardvark

• Sheila

Looks like it would, but I don't think you'd need it unless you drained the battery right down and desperately needed to use it the next day. I've ran my 80 Ah battery for 6-7 hours (laptop, mount, camera, heaters etc) and put on charge when finished and it was fully charged for the next night using the charger mentioned by Paul. 

Also wonder if the ctek would do a better job of maintaining/conditioning the battery.

How is your charger for fault finding and recovery of a discharged battery?

Thanks

No disrespect intended here and please feel free to disregard what I am about to say, but are you not reading too much into this? It's a battery, you charge it, you use it, you charge it, it's fine.

I have a £5 charger that charges the battery, when max full, discharges it a little, then charges it and so on. I leave mine on for weeks and months at a time, it's used for 8-9 hrs a session, in -7 temp in winter and after nearly 2 years it's still in perfect condition. Get a charger that charges and discharges and leave it on when not in use. Also, what are the chances that you will be using it for 12 hrs straight? Besides, mounts are sensitive to voltage drops, the mount will pack up long before the battery is in a state where only a deep charge will bring it back.

Probably Daz. But out of interest and potentially of use to others I thought I would ask.

I quite like the look of the Ctek. I am interested to see if the much higher cost can really be justified [for me?].

Fair comment re: voltage drop affecting mount before it would be so discharged and of course I don't expect to be running the setup in one go for 12hrs but potentially could over a couple of nights say at a star party (ignoring potential for using a hook-up). My question with respect to recovery etc mainly relates to the fact I do not like the idea of leaving it plugged in at all times even though of course it should be fine to do so.

I'm pretty much decided so thanks to all for the input.

Anyhow, of out to setup I think... If I am not back later I may have electrocuted myself via the mains :);)

S