• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hard Drive Cloning

catman161

"whack it in" love it  :D

Pointers - if you new hd doesn't boot check the "Active" partition is set correctly and that your Bios has recognised your new HD - should do latter if Bios set to "Auto" for drives.

You will be fine.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• catman161

• stash

• Toymaster

• Daz Type-R

Ha ha! Yeah it's all gone a little pear shaped (nothing major) I took the old hard drive out to find the 320GB one I wanted to put in has a different connection system and doesn't fit :( Oh well will get another one that is compatible and fit that. Will update on this thread if I am successful :) Thanks again for help-much obliged.

Sounds like one is Sata the other Pata - Pata are "normally" rectangle 40 pin connections like this 

http://www.dansdata.com/images/io121/driveplug1024.jpg

and sata are like these 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA#Cables.2C_connectors.2C_and_ports  - note there are a number of diff ones 

You used to get some convertors but for laptop it depended on the room (not worth it) and as you say your new drive will arrive soon.

Sorry to ask   :blush: but you have ordered the correct one for the "new" drive ? 

Haven't even ordered yet :) the other one is just from an old laptop a friend gave me. But thanks for guidance I will ensure I get correct one when I order :)

Thanks Damian :) I've just had another look at the existing hard drive and the connector looks very odd-so now I am uncertain as to what I need! Man! Here's a pic Posted Image

Posted Image

Sata  - your spec says Sata II and I suspect , as nearly always why HP, there is a removable block/interface on the front of the Hardware in the picture.

Std Sata looks like this http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/89/2.5-inch_SATA_drive_on_top_of_a_3.5-inch_SATA_drive%2C_close-up_of_data_and_power_connectors.jpg

Like this - shows how it is http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-FOR-HP-PAVILION-DV2530EA-500GB-SATA-LAPTOP-NOTEBOOK-HARD-DRIVE-HDD-2-5-/330863677591 

Thanks for clarifying but with the fact that it has those "pins" I guess you'd call them (second picture) surely I must need somethin that fits those. The HDD I wanted fit is standard SATA and has the same connectors as pictured in your first link. The second link leads to nothing unfortunately-it just goes to eBay and says item removed.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9aHac2P5RgVZFJ6ZV9WQjZpWE0/edit?usp=sharing  should see pictures from ebay

IF NOT 

- link to seller  http://stores.ebay.co.uk/laptopukparts?_trksid=p2047675.l2563 

search "NEW FOR HP PAVILION DV2530EA 500GB" scroll down and this shows you what yours must be like. Just for Info not suggesting buying from him/her.

Basically there is a hp connector on the hard drive which you need to remove to reveal the SATA interface amd then put this hp connector on the new sata disk drive.

Got to go out now but will be available later

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Felix,

Clive correct above, if you use a small screwdriver you can lever off the original plastic adapter that fits onto the hard drive. Just be careful that you do not bend the pins on the drive. Simply slips onto the new drive.

Just checked & have several DELL & an IBM/Lenovo adapter but not HP.

Hmmm, ok I'll have another look. I did take it all apart but it did not appear to be screwed on rather glued in place. I'll strip it down again and report back. Thanks again guys :)

Right, you were of course correct :) the adapter did come off and did fit the 320GB SATA drive. So I have installed it in laptop. Now this is here I have come unstuck. I want to boot from the cloned of my original hard drive which is on an external USB hard drive. So I hit F9 to change boot device to USB hard drive and all I get is a black screen with white flashing cursor in te corner. Do I need to somehow reinstall windows again or something? Sorry for dumb questions!

Felix ,

Why do you want to boot from the USB - I thought you hard now fitted the 320gb drive into the Laptop in place of the original drive?  :chin_scratch2:

Was the 320gb not the clone of your orig 160gb ?

No the 320gb drive was blank and I cloned my Original 160gb drive onto an external 400gb USB seagate drive so that when I installed the new blank 320GB drive into the laptop I could then put the clone of my original drive onto the new blank 320GB drive. I didn't have a caddy to put the 320GB drive into to do the cloning so figured I should be able to do it the way I just described. Is that not a possible way of doing this? :(

I think I am with you.

So long as you created a mirror image of the orig disc - that's all the partitions - then in theory it will run.

Did you check the 400gb has an active partition as per my earlier thread. If not the quickest thing to do is pop the 400gb drive into the laptop and see if it boots as the old 160gb.

Your going to tell me the 400gb is a 3.5 or non Sata drive aren't you  :facepalm:

Don't know the software you used but most allow you to create a bootable CD or USB flash drive to load the software so that you can move/copy the image you have on your 400gb to the blank 360gb you have in your laptop.

Lets us know the answer to the drive type of the 400gb /type of image you took and we will take it from there. :)

I will have to investigate the 400GB format as it's on old school desktop one which I'll have to dismantle to have a look. Man this really is a saga now! Lol! I'll get there eventually-don't know where I would be without you guys though. Thanks. I may end up having to get someone oh knows why they're doing to help me in person though I think. Or probably end up taking it to the people at PC world health clinic place.

Guest Kheldar

Bad idea, don't do it - clean install, your karma will be rewarded if you do :D

Just saying, would save a lot of mucking about at this point :)

Thanks Steph :D I don't have the windows disk that came with the laptop when I bought it all those years ago. It's windows Vista-that should give you an idea of its age :o

:facepalm:  PC World Clinic  :facepalm:

If its from a desktop then its 3.5 inch so won't fit the Laptop no matter how you "whack it in"  :)

What function of the Paragon software did you use to transfer the image on the 160gb to the 400gb ?

I had a quick look at the Paragon Software and its does have the ability to create a bottable "WinPE recovery environment" or "Prepare Linux  environment" on a USB thumb drive or in an ISO . The idea is you create the bootable USB or ISO(CD to you) Recovery Environment so that you can create/copy the image onto the new laptops drive (in this case 360gb). So once you have created the "recovery environment" you boot from that media(USB stick or CD) and it then runs a limited OS to enable you to copy the backed up image to the new hard drive (i.e. 360gb)

Are you running the orig Windows Vista or did you "Upgrade"

Edited by stash

I used the copy hard drive function (first button top left in icture below) So now according to program I have identical to whats on my internal 160GB drive on the 400GB usb drive. SO It should boot from it but it doesn't. Maybe I should've clicked MIgrate OS butto instead?? :wacko: It's windows vista Clive

12778711403_1e193f061f_o.jpg
hard drive copy by Gattouomo161, on Flickr

Edited by catman161

The boot mechanism is a two stage affair.

Simply the Bios is first stage and that looks at the drive as per order or via your F9 function option - this points to the device that must contain the second part of  the boot - this is always the MBR (Master Boor Record) on the device the Bios was pointed too (or F9 in your case) . IF the MBR is ok it will point to the place on its drive that contains the OS boot partition (Windows, Linux ,recovery etc) which is always the Active partition. Then the OS does it boot thing.

Therefore either :

1. Your Bios doesn't support USB boots from Hard discs just Flash drives    OR

2. The active partition was not set by Paragon s/w   OR 

3. HP's recovery partition is causing a problem   OR 

4. I missed something blindingly obvious - never easy remote support by chat  :)

Had the 400gb been a 2.5inch Sata disk and you had run the Clone s/w as you did (100% correct by the way - well done!) then you would have been able to insert the 400gb into the laptop and you would be running from it by now - that's all there was to the clone process.

:chin_scratch2:

Guest ecopley

It's not massively difficult to create a CD that will boot into Linux (I say Linux because Ubuntu can be downloaded free of charge on any computer, burnt to a disc and then booted on any other computer). From there you should be able to clone the cloned drive back to your larger internal drive.

I don't have a huge amount of experience with Linux but it's definitely not hard to boot from a CD. I'd be surprised if you couldn't find a drive cloning application for Linux but I don't know for sure. Maybe if you want to try you could Google first and see.

The other obvious choice would be to use an external caddy to clone the drive directly to the new one.

I have a spare one somewhere. If you'd like to use it then you can give me an address and I will post it to you on Thursday. I promise not to stalk you...

It's never as simple as it sounds. If it was, though, it wouldn't be any fun, would it!

Felix ,

Can you check the 400gb to see what type of drive it is - Sata or Pata and is it 2.5inch like your 160gb ?

It's not massively difficult to create a CD that will boot into Linux (I say Linux because Ubuntu can be downloaded free of charge on any computer, burnt to a disc and then booted on any other computer). From there you should be able to clone the cloned drive back to your larger internal drive.

I don't have a huge amount of experience with Linux but it's definitely not hard to boot from a CD. I'd be surprised if you couldn't find a drive cloning application for Linux but I don't know for sure. Maybe if you want to try you could Google first and see.

The other obvious choice would be to use an external caddy to clone the drive directly to the new one.

I have a spare one somewhere. If you'd like to use it then you can give me an address and I will post it to you on Thursday. I promise not to stalk you...

It's never as simple as it sounds. If it was, though, it wouldn't be any fun, would it!

His Paragon s/w can create either a WinPE or a Linux bootable CD / USB Stick - according to the spec :) Not to sure if his "notebook" has a CD (Felix ?)

Edited by stash