• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

My Vintage Celestron C8 2000mm f/10

Just got back inside as I've been out in the pitch black of my rear garden, got some awesome clear views of the moon and Saturn before they dropped out of sight.

I was looking for Andromeda Galaxy, but having real difficulties.....

I was looking for Andromeda Galaxy, but having real difficulties.....

You wont spot it this time of year, it does not get dark enough at night.

I guess so, I was thinking of investing in another scope for the winter months, just to look at M31.

I reckon I need a 2" low mag, would this help with larger objects as my lowest mag is around 66x.

I see that you have good experience in spotting the Messier objects, having seen 85! I only know of a handful embarrassingly haha

Your scope has a narrow field of view but is still very capable of spotting M31. I agree with Daz though it is hard to see in skies that are not fully dark, but give it a go, if you are willing to stay up late it's about 35° in altitude around 02.00 so you stand a good chance with 8" of aperture.

I don't think many people are blown away by the sight of M31. My best views of it have been when using a good pair of binoculars from a dark site. The wider field of the bins will frame it much better and can make it stand out more with the contrast to the blackness around its perimeter. I suspect you might enjoy the views of M31's satellite galaxies M110 and M32 better using your 8", since they are much more compact and take magnification well. The light from M31 is spread out over several degrees of sky and tends to blend in with any light pollution and the sky background, and with your widest field eyepiece, you may only frame the central 1 degree or less of M31.

I was out until 3am haha, was waiting for Neptune too but maybe I'm being too ambitious.

I don't think many people are blown away by the sight of M31. My best views of it have been when using a good pair of binoculars from a dark site. The wider field of the bins will frame it much better and can make it stand out more with the contrast to the blackness around its perimeter. I suspect you might enjoy the views of M31's satellite galaxies M110 and M32 better using your 8", since they are much more compact and take magnification well. The light from M31 is spread out over several degrees of sky and tends to blend in with any light pollution and the sky background, and with your widest field eyepiece, you may only frame the central 1 degree or less of M31.

I totally agree, I think a lot of people expect to see the kinda images that are online, captured by the Hubble telescope.

I will give them a go, thanks.

It is the only way to learn the sky and to find out your equipments limitations is to go and find the objects, you learn a lot by experimenting.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on.

".... maybe I'm being too ambitious"

I call it enthusiasm - and there's nothing wrong with that. :)

Hi Martin, I agree with Brantuk. Your enthusiasm shines through your posts and we know all about the joy you are feeling right now hunting down all the wonderful cosmic phenomena. We are enjoying your experiences because we have been there and are still getting that buzz from doing exactly what you are doing!

The more you find out the more there is to learn, it doesn't stop.

M31 for instance, I have seen several hundreds of images of this great galaxy, and seen it many times naked eye and through bins and telescopes, when you do see it, you may think about what Tweedledee has posted about people thinking 'what was all the fuss about' etc, I know exactly what he is getting at, but M31 is still a fascinating object, because the more you learn about it the better it gets!

It is a good naked eye target, most of us know exactly where it should be but we cannot always see it with the naked eye, because the conditions need to right, but we look for it and gaze in wonder when we glimpse it.

M31's companions M110 and M32 can be seen through the right telescopes with the right conditions and perhaps the right filters. Seeing M32 & M110 for the first or umpteenth time is an unforgettable experience.

M31 has hundreds globular clusters like our galaxy, some can be seen with the right amateur telescopes from here on earth, G1 and G2 are two etc. I am going to try and get a glimpse of one myself,

So enjoy what you are doing, I hope you are on a long journey of discovery... The same as us... Cheers!

I've seen G1 (Mayall 11) globular cluster through my 16" Stephen it's not much to look at  :lol: but as you say it's what you have seen, a globular cluster in another galaxy, the mind boggles at that. I have a sketch somewhere I'll try and find it.

Z7WJWu.jpg

Edited by Doc
  • Like 1

I've seen G1 (Myall 11) globular cluster through my 16" Stephen it's not much to look at  :lol: but as you say it's what you have seen, a globular cluster in another galaxy, the mind boggles at that. I have a sketch somewhere I'll try and find it.

That's amazing Mick, I am impressed! Your 16" dob must have been a great experience, and yes I would like to see your sketch if you can find it.

I have previously had a look on Sky Safari pro 4 and I know roughly where it lurks... But It's magnitude is 13.4 ...

You should certainly have a think about listing that catch on your veritable list of achievements - not sure how would you categorise it but it would get people thinking and raise interest and awareness!

How about this:

'Extra Galactic Globs - G1(Myall 11)

Hi Martin, I agree with Brantuk. Your enthusiasm shines through your posts and we know all about the joy you are feeling right now hunting down all the wonderful cosmic phenomena. We are enjoying your experiences because we have been there and are still getting that buzz from doing exactly what you are doing!

The more you find out the more there is to learn, it doesn't stop.

M31 for instance, I have seen several hundreds of images of this great galaxy, and seen it many times naked eye and through bins and telescopes, when you do see it, you may think about what Tweedledee has posted about people thinking 'what was all the fuss about' etc, I know exactly what he is getting at, but M31 is still a fascinating object, because the more you learn about it the better it gets!

It is a good naked eye target, most of us know exactly where it should be but we cannot always see it with the naked eye, because the conditions need to right, but we look for it and gaze in wonder when we glimpse it.

M31's companions M110 and M32 can be seen through the right telescopes with the right conditions and perhaps the right filters. Seeing M32 & M110 for the first or umpteenth time is an unforgettable experience.

M31 has hundreds globular clusters like our galaxy, some can be seen with the right amateur telescopes from here on earth, G1 and G2 are two etc. I am going to try and get a glimpse of one myself,

So enjoy what you are doing, I hope you are on a long journey of discovery... The same as us... Cheers!

I hope the enthusiasm sticks too:)

I think it helps as the missus is somewhat interested, we are looking to attend some meets later in the year.

".... maybe I'm being too ambitious"

I call it enthusiasm - and there's nothing wrong with that. :)

I kinda like that it isn't too easy to find things, I will try again tonight:)

Just to log that I've seen the two planets, Jupiter and Venus together using the 32mm (66x) eyepiece.

I'm happy for today.

Congrats Martin :)

I just took a stroll up to the corner of the street to get a clear view west - and there they were bright as a button. Only naked eye but nonetheless a very pleasing sight. :)

Just to log that I've seen the two planets, Jupiter and Venus together using the 32mm (66x) eyepiece.

I'm happy for today.

They did make a nice sight being that close together :2thumbsup:

Yep, a fine sight.

I was up at the sherwoods Observatory tonight and saw them through an 8" LX90 Meade, it was strange to see the crescent Venus and Jupiters faint disc, with fainter bands, in the same 40mm Eyepiece FOV.

Not sure what to buy next?

I've been considering a low magnification, wide FOV eyepiece for larger objects. Is it recommended to invest in a 2" or can I just get away with using a 40mm (50x) as this will undoubtably be a cheaper option.

I want to view some open clusters too.

Also, bidding on something that I hope will be my first restoration project as I don't want to go messing about with the C8 just yet.

What restoration project is this Martin?

As for a low mag eyepiece how about the Televue 40mm plossl, or the meade 40mm Plossl both are 1.25", if you want 2" then Televue make a 55mm Plossl and Meade a 56mm Plossl both excellent eyepieces.

I'm so getting out tonight, get some luna and Saturn viewing in. The missus didn't get chance to see Venus and Jupiter earlier, but we did see the thunder clouds forming in the distance.