• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

My Vintage Celestron C8 2000mm f/10

Do you have a dew shield yet Martin? Then there's a pier to get (probably portable one). You could get dew controller and bands for the Telrad, finder, and eyepieces too. Loads of stuff really. :)

Recently got a celestron one (see top of page) but I don't like the look of it :/ I know 'first world problems' right haha

I was thinking about extra dew protection, such as a controller for eyepiece and like you say the Telrad too as it fogs up; like imiadiately!

A wixey.

I was thinking about a camera too, don't have a huge budget at the moments but if I was to get a digital 35mm, do I need to spend a lot on one?

I think you'd find it a total waste putting a camera on a non motorised mount. It has been done before (usually on manual dobs) - but it's rare and results are severely limited. Certainly no good for deep sky. :)

Edited by Brantuk

I was thinking about a secondhand goto setup, noticed a few come and go on eBay for very little.

Ah well that changes the picture if you're putting electronics and tracking - whole new ball game lol.

I'm not doing much else to the C8 as I want to keep it looking old school, but instead invest in another set-up, nothing too expensive though.

So what's your budget roughly? I'll maybe make a few suggestions for you to consider, or see if I can dig out something for you in the classifieds. You'll see plenty of setups on the 8th at WW but if you wanna see anything before then just drop over here - I have most types of scopes and cameras. :)

I think I'm just so undecided at the moment :/

I can't afford much, but at the same time have dreams of observatories and 70" telescopes :P

Sure - we've all been there at first - wanting to do everything at once and not knowing which step to take next.

It's just a matter of taking it a day at a time - researching each step thoroughly - and building up your knowledge as you go. Then when funds permit you'll know exactly what to go for. :)

Its very tough to make the right purchase isn't it, with this hobby comes many variables (or am I talking rubbish haha)

Far from rubbish - it's very difficult when you're relatively new to it all. But I tell you what - soon as you start talking with folks and looking at gear during meetings and star parties - your knowledge rockets up rapidly - cos you get little gems of info from many different sources. :)

Edited by Brantuk

I'm not doing much else to the C8 as I want to keep it looking old school, but instead invest in another set-up, nothing too expensive though.

Sorry but the Telrad isn't old school, not contemporary with the scope. I don't like telrads that much, cant get on with them and Im an old fashioned classic/vintage scope collector.

But you will be forgiven if you make sure the scope can be put back to original :D  :D  

An EQ5 / HEQ5 will suit the C8 perfectly, don't be tempted to go for anything smaller if you are intending to image with the scope. You will need to source tube rings and dovetail to make it fit the mount.

Then when you are all set up on the goto mount you can take off that awful telrad, you wont need it then ;)

I've since put the original 6x30 finder back on, but it could do with fresh paint sometime in the future.

I can't fault the Telrad one bit, I even managed to lock onto a helicopter with it earlier :P

I think ultimately I dont want to make irreversible changes, as you say "back to original" for example the paintwork is very important to me and things like the serial numbers and original corrector cover are still present with the scope.

I even have the original yellow rubber dust cap that fits on the SCT back :)

I'm not going goto on the C8, but instead getting another set-up.

Edited by M__

Lovely scope there Martin, I've got a black tube one - with the very up to date push too computer technology, the manual raves how modern and amazing it is - which of course it was back then!

Lovely scope there Martin, I've got a black tube one - with the very up to date push too computer technology, the manual raves how modern and amazing it is - which of course it was back then!

Thanks Caroline. Sorry, I've only just noticed your post here, I posted in your thread earlier.

Just had a really good view of the ISS, clear skies here.

I'm back out soon for Neptune hunt :)

Neptune is so tough to find! It must have been the best night and opportunity, but no such luck.

I had the Lambda Aqr star in Aquarius, but just couldn't pinpoint Neptune.

• 2 weeks later...

Well done Martin.

M13 is very easy when you know where to look. You will never forget the position now.

Hi Mick, it was a tad dim, but clear. I was using the 28mm 2" skywatcher, next time I should increase the mag maybe?

In truth, I was taking advantage of the clear skies, my focus on the moon :)

It's a stunner isn't it! It can handle high magnification well, you will get the younger blue stars in the centre and the older yellow stars on the outer shell. Google the "propeller" and see if you can make that out.

http://www.telescope.com/Articles/Deep-Sky-Challenge/Globular-Cluster-M13-and-the-Elusive-Propeller/c/9/sc/770/p/102978.uts

My current eyepieces, looking to invest in a couple of higher end ones before the year is up.

image.jpg1_zpszlfah9o0.jpg

Edited by M__