• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

My Vintage Celestron C8 2000mm f/10

M82, a tough find for me, but I got it :)

Did you not manage M81 as well, it's close by?

Nicely done though!

:)

Did you not manage M81 as well, it's close by?

Nicely done though!

:)

Cheers :)

It was by far my most difficult find, I used the 10mm Hyperion in 2" mode, which I think gives me a 21mm equiverlant. It was a very tiny blur haha. I didn't get M81 despite it being so close :/ but will have another go tomorrow :)

Interestingly M82 is the furthest thing away I've ever seen :P

I'm also understanding about the limitations of this old C8, looking at M13 again, this time with the 13mm is still very dim :/

If you can see M82, you should be able to see M81, as M82 is smaller and fainter than M81.

Deffinatly worth another go.

M33 needs dark skies and a wide field, better seen in binoculars.

I agree. Saw it in 15x70s from a dark sky site last week, but it was very faint and difficult, and I knew exactly where to find it. I could easily have scanned right over it without even realising it was there.

From a light polluted back yard, it will be almost impossible to see.

I've looked straight through it a few times from my garden. I don't bother trying unless I'm at a darksite. It jumped out at me when I was in Scotland a couple of weeks ago. Amazing what a difference dark skies make.

It's the same with the crab nebula. M1 I thought, must be easy I thought, two years before I finally found that pesky crab.

Edited by tuckstar

I've looked straight through it a few times from my garden. I don't bother trying unless I'm at a darksite. It jumped out at me when I was in Scotland a couple of weeks ago. Amazing what a difference dark skies make.

It's the same with the crab nebula. M1 I thought, must be easy I thought, two years before I finally found that pesky crab.

In 3 months I've seen, the moon, three planets and about five Messier objects lol

Ok, I've won an auction for a fullerscope off eBay :)

I will update with some images when I collect it, maybe tomorrow or at the weekend.

This is going to be my restoration project, I'm going to put the effort in too.

Ok, I've won an auction for a fullerscope off eBay :)

I will update with some images when I collect it, maybe tomorrow or at the weekend.

This is going to be my restoration project, I'm going to put the effort in too.

Fullerscopes :) I have some of their old 1970s catalogs.

I'm intrigued :chin_scratch2:

Fullerscopes :) I have some of their old 1970s catalogs.

I'm intrigued :chin_scratch2:

Hi Pete. It's the only image I have, taken direct from the eBay ad.

image.jpg1_zpspbd7xgbg.jpg

Ok, picked the item up last night and the condition isn't that bad really. It's a 6" fullerscope, with a 48" focal. The mirror is pitted, I'm guessing the coating has broken down.

I don't think the pillar and mount will need too much work, strip it down, re-paint and replace some fittings :)

Yes it needs some colour matching :P

I like it, used it earlier for some luna viewing and what a difference having a dedicated tripod makes. It's a better finish and build than I expected, very robust and has an heavy solid feel to it. I like that it extends to about 1.5 m tall too, just need to better the fastener as its a simple 6mm threaded fitting, the bolt isn't under any shear load but I'm using two rubber faced clamps for redundancy.

How do you set the azimuth on the wedge Martin? Could be important if you decide to do anything more than just observing.

How do you set the azimuth on the wedge Martin? Could be important if you decide to do anything more than just observing.

It's fixed, but the wedge will spin if I slacken the bolt off a little.

• 3 weeks later...

So, from my front lawn just after 4.00 AM

Jupiter and its four large moons, the Hyperions had the dust blown off them and the 13mm (153x) produced the best results, considering the orange glow of theses street lamps! I even stretched out the mag, with the 10mm + 28mm ring.

Venus was insane bright and well viewed through the "2 28mm skywatcher EP and the 13mm Hyperion.

Mars was very tiny, but the reddish dot in the sky appeared visible after it cleared the street lamps, 10mm (200x) mag was about the best I could manage with the focus.

I waited for the waning moon to rise and was rewarded with its orange glow.

I feel that I'm on a real adventure of discovery with my old C8, I like to think it's being used and not in a box in the loft. :)

Edited by M__