• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

My Vintage Celestron C8 2000mm f/10

If I can offer you some advice.

The next thing you want to buy is a 2 inch SCT duel speed focuser.

It will make you life so much easier and focusing will be a whole heap easier and better.

If I can offer you some advice.

The next thing you want to buy is a 2 inch SCT duel speed focuser.

It will make you life so much easier and focusing will be a whole heap easier and better.

Will I have any issues fitting or acquiring one?

You are fitting an adapter at the moment from your visual back to sct.

The focuser will screw straight on to this adapter.

I really need to sort the SCT fitting out first, so I can fit this 2" diagonal. Do you have a solution for a fix?

Could you make an identical one with the correct thread to fit my scope?

I really need to sort the SCT fitting out first, so I can fit this 2" diagonal. Do you have a solution for a fix?

Could you make an identical one with the correct thread to fit my scope?

Yes I can.

Have a quick read of my last on your other post you might find it interesting.

Yes I can.

Have a quick read of my last on your other post you might find it interesting.

How much will it cost?

Would you need me to send the William optics SCT adaptor so to get the bore size and thread sizes for the diagonal side?

Not to worry, will have it sorted in the morning.

Edited by M__

Sorry Martin got waylaid last night by the better half.  :wacko:

Are you sorted ??

Sorry Martin got waylaid last night by the better half. :wacko:

Are you sorted ??

Hi Graham

I've got the baader clicklock 2" which manages to screw on by a couple of threads before locking tight. My original adaptor fits all the celestron models at the local shop, and so does the clicklock. I get back home to fit it and although it's a slightly better fit over the WO SCT adaptor, I still have the same issue.

I'm trying to clean up the visual back threads on the scope as I think they need it in some areas.

I can get it on a few threads and It's square on, just didn't have a great deal of thread purchase.

I need it to work really, I couldn't really afford to be spending the extra money here, so I'm a bit gutted really :(

Edited by M__

I'm thinking about making a redundancy tether but I like this clicklock as I can remove the diagonal and insert the dust blank into the clicklock when not in use.

image.jpg1_zpszvdbbffc.jpg

Thats a real pain.

Can you take a picture of the threads of the visual back with a ruler against them so I can see the pitch I might have a die that will clean them up for you.

Thats a real pain.

Can you take a picture of the threads of the visual back with a ruler against them so I can see the pitch I might have a die that will clean them up for you.

Thanks Graham, will do first thing in natural daylight.

I can only imagine that the original fitting is a good mating pair with the visual back threads as it screws on easily.

Well, it's obvious that the William Optics 2" diagonal made a big improvement to the optical quality, it was much easier to get a crisp focus at higher magnification and a general improvement in clarity and detail. It was a dark clear night here, I had taken the scope into the garage for it to 'cool down' (I'm pro now lol) as a few nights back I had real trouble focusing, makes sense as that night was noticeably colder.

Anyways, Saturn was the best I had ever seen it, I even stretched the magnification out and gave the 8mm a go. I reckon it could have gone a bit more without too much loss of image quality.

I like that I can remove the 1,25" eyepiece adaptor with the eyepiece still installed, then I can quickly place the 2" eyepiece in and switch between the two with ease.

Also, I like this baader clicklock as I can remove the diagonal to reduce risk of damage during any transporting of my scope.

I'm happy so far, will need to sort this dew problem out though as even the kit was suffering in the boxes come early hours.

Edited by M__

Graham, this is my current issue. It's locked secure but ideally a small but beefed up, sturdy extension tube adaptor that allows me to fit this clicklock up solid would be ideal.

image.jpg1_zpsjeh3mhrd.jpg

That should help a lot Martin, looks good as well.

Cheers, keeping it team celestron but I'm 50/50 on the appearance. I reckon a few more months and this scope will have the newer celestron wedge, a finder scope and more importantly a pilar mount of sorts.

I'm even looking for a 80s C90 for that serious retro look :)

I was at rother valley optics earlier (they defo know I'm crazy lol) don't think they have ever seen such passion for an old C8 haha

Ian (the owner?) seems a nice enough chap

Edited by M__

Yeah I think pillar mount should be top of your list it would make it so much easier to use.

Is that Graham's bit in the middle? Looks ideal :)

It is indeed, I've put a new thread up in astro chat :)

I don't know, it's just an image I guess :P I managed to get some daylight viewing in of the moon.

image.jpg1_zpsi2mmtedm.jpg

Edited by M__

Do you have a dew shield yet Martin? Then there's a pier to get (probably portable one). You could get dew controller and bands for the Telrad, finder, and eyepieces too. Loads of stuff really. :)