• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

My Vintage Celestron C8 2000mm f/10

Just invested in a Telrad and a 1.25" skywatcher O 111 filter, see what all the fuss is about and if they really are that good?

Also, should have a really cool mod for my scope if all goes well.....

Ok, a month of ownership as now past and I'm still excited about this C8, seriously I love the thing :)

That is all for this update lol

I'm excited about my Telrad getting delivered today, will be sure to get some images uploaded when it's fitted.

Just cleaned the scope down and apart from two tiny paint imperfections, this C8 is seriously clean.

I like to think that this scope is now seeing some proper use.

image.jpg1_zps7ltczxk6.jpg

Looks good Martin - are you by any chance left handed? If the telrad is difficult to look through you can always turn the diagonal to one side or the other. :)

Just had a quick look outside and can see why this is a favoured finder, the variable reticle intensity is really handy and it didn't take me long to adjust the sight.

Unfortunately, although it's clear out, I'm guessing lots of light pollution is to blame as I couldn't see much and stars appear really dim in the sky.

Kim, I will try that out. It's not too much a strain, so far so good.

Edited by M__

Left to right, original diagonal, Meade 1.25" diagonal 96% reflective mirror and the 2" William Optics diagonal 99% reflective mirror.

image.jpg1_zpsaacyk1cm.jpg

I like the copper band that binds around the eyepiece, this seems a better method over the screw lock.

image.jpg1_zpsaxel1tke.jpg

Edited by M__

This thing appears huge against the smaller 1.25" diagonal, it's weighs more too at 0.48 kg!

image.jpg1_zpsdrcgcekr.jpg

Looking good Martin. William Optics is a great maker and I have used their diagonals and they are pretty much perfect for the job. Are you getting the bigger visual back so you get the full 2" ?

Also are you going to Belper on Friday night?

Looking good Martin. William Optics is a great maker and I have used their diagonals and they are pretty much perfect for the job. Are you getting the bigger visual back so you get the full 2" ?

Also are you going to Belper on Friday night?

Is that an extra collar or short hollow tube that fits between the SCT fitting and the diagonal?

I will check with the missus as she is the one that can drive :)

Yes the brass clamping rings save screwing marks onto all your eyepiece barrels. :)

I think I will have more confidence in that the eyepiece is more secure too.

Not happy!

That SCT fitting isn't the correct thread pitch for the back of my scope! I did ask FLO and they didn't know, but said they would refund me. The thing is though, the threads seem to tight spot even on the diagonal too.

Disappointed with this product.....

You should be able to get a 3.25"- 2" visual back for your scope. This will enable you to get an unrestricted 2" hole through the celestron. All you then do is slide your diagonal into the 2" end. The 3.25" end screws onto your scope.

Hey Martin - I have a TS dielectric 2" diagonal if you'd like to try it out. It's had little or no use and it came off a Celestron 9.25 Sct so it should be the same thread as yours. Pm me if you'd like to look at it. :)

(it fits on a 2" visual back)

Edited by Brantuk

It's a different thread pitch, it looks to have slipped on the threads inside the diagonal too, it tight spotted upon removing it.

I'm struggling here, let me upload a few images.

Edited by M__

Do I need something else? FLO say they can't help me with the fitting as they don't have one that fits.

image.jpg1_zpspds2efam.jpg

You should be able to get a 3.25"- 2" visual back for your scope. This will enable you to get an unrestricted 2" hole through the celestron. All you then do is slide your diagonal into the 2" end. The 3.25" end screws onto your scope.

Hi Mick.

I have started a new thread, with some images. Im a tad confused?

Hey Martin - I have a TS dielectric 2" diagonal if you'd like to try it out. It's had little or no use and it came off a Celestron 9.25 Sct so it should be the same thread as yours. Pm me if you'd like to look at it. :)

(it fits on a 2" visual back)

I may take you up on that offer, sorry my mood isn't good today as I'm mega grumpy haha

Haha, I know, so epic lol

I preffer the one with the women out for a stroll on the beach with her C8, like its a regular thing lol