• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

EMS 5 star party - Disscusion Thread.

Daz Type-R

Weather is always going to be difficult. I’d definitely go back to Halse Farm, lovely setting, and to have the site to ourselves was great

I wasn't being funny Allan and all I wanted to do was set the record straight, so I apologise if it it had any other inflection.

I do agree that statistically the North and East of England is in fact drier and that this years rainfall has been proof that you are totally at the mercy of the weather.

When looking for a site we probably spent two years looking for one, we did have one near Woodhall spa, but after a couple of calls that went through, they don't like big single groups, I suppose they have had too much trouble from them in the past.

When looking for a site we have to consider distance and time traveled, light pollution and also nearby amenities, because you will always need something and yes beer included! 

A lot of sites are "Family Friendly", that way they increase the amount of bodies per pitch, so when we turn up mostly as single occupancy per pitch, we aren't making them as much money. That said, Sharon's site does just charge per pitch.

It's also really tricky to find every pitch we need serviced with electricity, a good number only have limited hook ups.

As I have in the past mentioned, if anyone has a suggestion then it would be seriously considered.

Edited by BAZ
Dyslexic keyboard.

12 hours ago, Allan the Plumber said:

Hi Guys sorry to be a party pooper but it’s generally not the best location to go to in the Autumn you need to look at a location in the east! All our weather at this time of the year comes from the west the East tends to miss out on these weather patterns 

I'm in complete agreement Allan, having seen the conditions first hand.

The west country and Wales at this time of the year is totally at the mercy of the autumn Atlantic weather systems / storms and you are playing Russian Roulette with it.

3 hours ago, BAZ said:

As I have in the past mentioned, if anyone has a suggestion then it would be seriously considered.

My suggestion is simple.

We head off to Spain or Portugal and rent a villa in the middle of nowhere.

If you can get enough people interested (count me in) it may work out cheaper than you think.

Nice idea Rob but I don't think it would be very practical for most members. Getting kit over there, and there would be no point just going for the weekend. I certainly couldn't justify it. Off course there's no reason why a few of you couldn't arrange yourself. 

I feel I must reiterate what Baz has said. It took 2 years for us to find a campsite that could or would accommodate us within a few hours drive. Please if anyone knows a decent site with electric hook ups, dark skies, allows groups and exclusive use we would be happy to look in to it.

Personally I think Halse Farm ticks all the boxes. 

Studfold was great but it is out of the equation as Baz has explained.

Count me in for Ems6. I'd be happy to go back to Halse Farm and thanks for organising.

21 hours ago, Streetbob said:

Count me in for Ems6. I'd be happy to go back to Halse Farm and thanks for organising.

That goes for me & Sue too - September or even in Spring if there is a date that works out.

I think i'll do Kelling instead, although i'd really prefer that to be in September like it normally is.

I can't really justify going to both with 2 lots of van hire etc only to face the probability of clouds and rain.

Looking ahead to next year, the following dates may be useful:

Full Moon     8th April 2020
Good Friday    10th April 2020
Easter Sunday    12th April 2020
school summer term starts    Monday 20th April (maybe local variations)
New Moon    23rd April 2020

Full Moon    2nd September 2020
school autumn term starts 3rd September (maybe local variations)
New Moon    17th September 2020
New Moon    16th October 2020