• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Rob`s Obsy build

red dwalf

couple more pictures of the reduced height pier adapter, 50mm between the two plates now, seems very sturdy.

loweredmount2.jpg

Edited by red dwalf

That will help alot with the rigidity Rob, some folks go for really high spacers and that lets a bit of flex in

Looks rock solid to me - it's all keeping that cup level and in place so the mount/scope will be no problem lol.

Nice job Rob :)

• 2 months later...

PIER BUILD UPDATES.

at last having alittle time to start the pier build in the obsy before the star party season and winter arriving,

progress so far includes digging a hole through the trap door in the obsy floor, installing an old galvanised line post in the soil which was hammered in about 18 inches and a small amount of concrete to keep it firm, this will go through the middle of the waste pipe pier to help reinforce it.

eaan.jpg

the hole is about 24 inches deep in total although i don`t intend to fill to the top with concrete as i want to isolate it as much as possiable from the obsy floor.

0idb.jpg

next comes the Pier and i have made a few adaptions to the bottom of it, firstly i`ve drilled some 1" holes through the tube, this will help with the concrete binding with the concrete in the tube when filled hopefully making it a stronger fix, also i`ve screwed some 6" large screws into the base which will also help with stibilty.

k5a7.jpgwqv3.jpg

due to the appaling weather i`ve already got some muddy footprints on them James which i`m not happy about, L.O.L.

got some news paper down now.

not lucking forward to mixing conctere outside and then carrying it with a bucket into the obsy, it does get very heavy after a time. 

Still got some of that carpet left Rob if you get any that are really horrible, don't think we need it so shout up if you need them

pier is now concreted in, took 8 bags of ballast, all mixed by hand, my back is killing me at the moment,

i also added two threaded bars through the bottom of the pier as the screws looked alittle light weight for the job.

gr5h.jpg

jmw8.jpg

Edited by red dwalf

Eight bags!!!!! I disn't think your hole looked that big, i dread to think how much material nick needed to fill his.

Your pier has better foundations than my house :)

Looks impressive.

I've given up on my idea of an obsy at this house, so it's on hold until i move, if i ever move.

Cheers for posting all the pictures.

James

some concrete went into the tube also,

i believe Nick got through 2 ton of ballast for his job,

mounting plate was painted up last night, giving it a second coat today and hopefully will get it all put together over the weekend.

Edited by red dwalf

Pier Top ready for adapter plates.

xvsb.jpg

floorboards trimmed to fit around pier

xfnz.jpg

carpet tiles back in place

4uvy.jpg

finished pier build.

xf85.jpg

Very neat. I can't see any footprints on the carpet either.

Looking forward to seeing the mount head on top.

James

COMPLETED !!!!    apart from the electrics and so on.

and to say i`m highly delighted is an understatement, the single bolt that holds the bottom plate to the pier is solid as a rock, i`m 6 foot tall and 14 stone and i couldn`t move it, certainly so far there`s no reason to fit another bolt. 

just needs Polar aligning and i`m ready to go.

anyway here`s a few more pictures.

kzcn.jpg

l32v.jpg

aej8.jpg

xoki.jpg

Looks lovely. No more stepping around the tripod legs!

I'm glad you commented on the single bolt which holds the base plate to the pillar, as I was worried this might be the weak link in your overall massive stability. Is there any adhesive between the base plate and the top of the concrete pillar? (I'm not sure it would add any more stability but I was just intrigued).

When is the opening event? Bottle of Bud and some DSO imaging :)

Great work. All very much worth it. I'm really pleased for you.

James

Thanks Noel, James, Dave,

There is a lot more room now the tripod has gone,

I've not put anything under the plate and pier top, as it needs to rotate alittle when polar aligning, I wanted to put a thin piece of hard rubber under the plate to add friction but I had nothing available, but having tightened the nut the plate seems very sturdy indeed.

I'll have another open evening soon, hopefully we will have some clear skies this time,

Edited by red dwalf