• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Rob`s Obsy build

red dwalf

electrics onto the pier completed today, should be enough to power the usb hub and the dew control and mount without calbles trailing around the floor.

jcjx.jpg

thanks Ron, it`s very secure, might update the power boxes to something alittle more robust later on, but for now there working fine.

thanks guys,

i`m giving the pier a first light run tonight, cloud hit and miss alittle, want to try a webcam on a star or planet, then walk around the floor to see if the image moves at all.

fingers crossed

• 1 month later...

been busy again today, amazing what you can do when your bored at home and the weather is pants. anyway i`ve painted the pier and made a table to fit over the pier tube so focus boxes, dew controllers and so on can sit neatly on it instead of dangling down or being stuck to the pier tube with tape. 

will be putting it all back together hopefully in time for the moon transits of Jupiter on the 12th if i can stay awake.

here`s a few pictures.

emv5.jpg

9twm.jpg

r1o5.jpg

xox9.jpg

ebv5.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

been doing alittle more today to the warm room, bought a 12mm 8` x 4` exterior plyboard, thanks Allan for delivering it for me.

made a frame out of 2" x 2" timbers which was just 12mm from the bottom of the wall height as i wanted the warm room roof to be flush with the top of the walls. 

was alittle difficult trying to handle a 8` x 4` board on my own but in the end it was cut and fitted perfectly.

warm room is alittle cosy but should be enough room for me and a little heater !

69q9.jpg

picture of the top of the warm room roof, fits flush with the wall rails.

yete.jpg

inside looking up.

dviy.jpg

Looks cool rob :) why don't you make a flip down style desk that is attached to the wall with hinges and have (again with hinges) a couple of pull out legs attached to the wall underneath to support the pull down desk surface? Would save on space as you wouldn't need the big chest of drawers desk you have in the pictures. Just a thought, feel free to ignore of course :) I am so Obsy jealous of all you guys with ya Obsys!!

Looks like a great addition rob. How many EMS'ers can we get in the warm room :)

James

not too many James but i think if more than two where in there i wouldn`t need the heating on L.O.L. 

Looks cool rob :) why don't you make a flip down style desk that is attached to the wall with hinges and have (again with hinges) a couple of pull out legs attached to the wall underneath to support the pull down desk surface? Would save on space as you wouldn't need the big chest of drawers desk you have in the pictures. Just a thought, feel free to ignore of course :) I am so Obsy jealous of all you guys with ya Obsys!!

i like the idea of the flip down style desk Felix, i might consider that, the draws are going on the back wall and are handy to store all those little bits you use every now and again.

An essential part of an observatory Rob, nice one. I don't have heating in mine but Im starting to warm to the idea..... boom boom :facepalm2:

keep the jokes coming Phil L.O.L.

for the first time ever i`m hoping to be cosy while imaging in the depths of winter.

cladding to the warm room finished, used 8mm tongue and grooved cladding which used over 200 screws to fix to the frame !

very cosy in there and very quiet with the door closed, now needs a clean up and the carpet tiles putting back and i`m almost good to go.

view looking towards the front of the warm room

fsm4.jpg

view looking towards the back of the warm room

a4lq.jpg

warm room door open

sgzp.jpg

view from the inside looking towards the warm room

ak5n.jpg

view from the outside of the obsy.

uyw4.jpg

Looks nice and cosy. You should get a heat exchange mechanism and use the heat from the chickens to keep you warm ;)

It's been a great project to watch rob, really inspiring.

James

thanks guys for the comments, your more than welcome to pop round sometime and have another look.i`ll try and sort something out

Edited by red dwalf

new Altair Astro pier puck now arrived and the new neq6 mount is now attached to the pier and looks great, takes some lugging around to lift the mount onto the pier adapter, would not like to do it everyday.

98kd.JPG

also added my little led lights to the warm room, look great too, these can change colour from white to red and all colours inbetween.

3dy1.jpg