Signing up for the East Midlands Stargazers is really quick and easy. Sign up using your email address, Facebook account or Twitter account, by using one of the buttons below.

Once you've signed up you'll be able to post in the forums to introduce yourself, customise your profile, exchange messages with other members of our community, and attend one of our monthly meetings to meet other members. We welcome members of all skill levels, from the complete beginner to the seasoned veteran of the skies.

Kheldar

Latest Purchases

Brantuk    419
Brantuk

Looks very nice - might invest in one of those myself - great heads up :)

Rock Doctor    0
Rock Doctor

I did the same as you Craig and subscribed to The Sky at Night and got the Cambridge Star Atlas. Also got The Stargazers handbook by Giles Sparrow for £6 (reduced from £20) from The Works bookshop

Craig    7
Craig

I hadn't heard of that one!

I'll add it to my Amazon wish list which the other half has been checking. :D

Ron Clarke    308
Ron Clarke

Bought and erected a 4'x3'x5'6" wooden garden store to eventually roll over my pier (built last month). Looks like I'm going to be busy over Christmas! haha

Daz Type-R    624
Daz Type-R

Bought and erected a 4'x3'x5'6" wooden garden store to eventually roll over my pier (built last month). Looks like I'm going to be busy over Christmas! haha

Any chance of some pictures, I would love to see that?

Fluke    0
Fluke

Ive got my first scope coming xmas day. Cant wait to get stuck in. Not got any books as such yet but have got pUniverse on my phone to help me get started.

Scopes a skymax 127 goto. I did a little research, just hope ive chosen wisely..?!

Craig    7
Craig

I bet you're really looking forward to it!

I got a look at a Mak, it's a nice portable scope. I've not used one, but I hear lots of praise for this scope.

red dwalf    258
red dwalf

I seen some amazing webcam images of planets using the127 mak, great planet scope, try downloading stellarium, a free bit of software to help you find your way around the night skies.

Fluke    0
Fluke

Might have a problem on the software front as I only have a Mac. From the very little I've read so far Macs and most scopes don't sound too compatible?

Might have to invest in a cheap laptop as well..

Rock Doctor    0
Rock Doctor

Dan,

Stellarium works on a Mac so you can still use it.

BAZ    751
BAZ

That's a nice scope, in fact it may well be my next one. I had a look through one at the Moon and it gave really good clear views.

Stellarium can just be used for it's Planetarium function and is available to download onto a Mac.

http://www.stellarium.org/

This is good for learning your way round and finding objects of interest with the search function.

Bet you can't wait until Sunday!

Fluke    0
Fluke

Thats great, I'll do that.

I've just installed Star Walk on my iPad - It looks great, hopefully works as good as it looks.

Fluke    0
Fluke
That's a nice scope, in fact it may well be my next one. I had a look through one at the Moon and it gave really good clear views.

Stellarium can just be used for it's Planetarium function and is available to download onto a Mac.

http://www.stellarium.org/

This is good for learning your way round and finding objects of interest with the search function.

Bet you can't wait until Sunday!

Your right Baz I cant :) although realistically it will be more like Boxing Day or the day after before I'll get my first go weather permitting.

I got the scope from Rother Valley Optics, closest dealer to me in Notts as far as I could tell and the best price around. Very nice helpful staff their - would defo use again for future purchases.

Daz Type-R    624
Daz Type-R

I have used RVO for a few bits and bobs, cracking set of blokes, fast delivery too.

Craig    7
Craig

Just got myself the Yearbook of Astronomy, 2012 50th Anniversary Edition by Sir Patrick Moore. :D

Kheldar    4
Kheldar

Celestron X-Cel LX 18mm

Televue Barlow 2x

(These are not being kidnapped by the wife as they are coming to work tomorrow! :D)

Celeste    38
Celeste

A pair of 10x50 bino's...from 2nd hand shop, bargain at £4.99 :D They will keep Lew happy for a bit! He's already been out with them

BAZ    751
BAZ

You can't go wrong with them, light enough to hold and with a big view.

If he finds it a bit hard going to hold them, get a cheapo broom from Wilko's, and cut the handle down so when you turn it upside down, he can rest his elbows on a soft clean brush head. Cut it so it's just a bit higher than his shoulders, so looking at things higher in the sky is easy.

Simples! :)

BAZ    751
BAZ

My Duel speed Crayford upgrade turned up today, so after Crimbo I'll fit it and post piccy's of it.

Doc    839
Doc

I'm looking forward to that Martyn. I was going to fit one of these on that Bresser of mine.

red dwalf    258
red dwalf

just bought an adapter for my Meade DSI mono ccd from billet parts, now i can finally get rid of that filter slide, looks very well made, fitted it in a couple of minutes, now some time and some clear nights then i might be able to get some images.

Daz Type-R    624
Daz Type-R

now some time and some clear nights then i might be able to get some images.

Yeah good luck with that, the weather report for the next week for Nottingham is pants. :(