• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Latest Purchases

Guest Kheldar

I did the same as you Craig and subscribed to The Sky at Night and got the Cambridge Star Atlas. Also got The Stargazers handbook by Giles Sparrow for £6 (reduced from £20) from The Works bookshop

I hadn't heard of that one!

I'll add it to my Amazon wish list which the other half has been checking. :D

Bought and erected a 4'x3'x5'6" wooden garden store to eventually roll over my pier (built last month). Looks like I'm going to be busy over Christmas! haha

Bought and erected a 4'x3'x5'6" wooden garden store to eventually roll over my pier (built last month). Looks like I'm going to be busy over Christmas! haha

Any chance of some pictures, I would love to see that?

Ive got my first scope coming xmas day. Cant wait to get stuck in. Not got any books as such yet but have got pUniverse on my phone to help me get started.

Scopes a skymax 127 goto. I did a little research, just hope ive chosen wisely..?!

I bet you're really looking forward to it!

I got a look at a Mak, it's a nice portable scope. I've not used one, but I hear lots of praise for this scope.

I seen some amazing webcam images of planets using the127 mak, great planet scope, try downloading stellarium, a free bit of software to help you find your way around the night skies.

Might have a problem on the software front as I only have a Mac. From the very little I've read so far Macs and most scopes don't sound too compatible?

Might have to invest in a cheap laptop as well..

That's a nice scope, in fact it may well be my next one. I had a look through one at the Moon and it gave really good clear views.

Stellarium can just be used for it's Planetarium function and is available to download onto a Mac.

http://www.stellarium.org/

This is good for learning your way round and finding objects of interest with the search function.

Bet you can't wait until Sunday!

That's a nice scope, in fact it may well be my next one. I had a look through one at the Moon and it gave really good clear views.

Stellarium can just be used for it's Planetarium function and is available to download onto a Mac.

http://www.stellarium.org/

This is good for learning your way round and finding objects of interest with the search function.

Bet you can't wait until Sunday!

Your right Baz I cant :) although realistically it will be more like Boxing Day or the day after before I'll get my first go weather permitting.

I got the scope from Rother Valley Optics, closest dealer to me in Notts as far as I could tell and the best price around. Very nice helpful staff their - would defo use again for future purchases.

A pair of 10x50 bino's...from 2nd hand shop, bargain at £4.99 :D They will keep Lew happy for a bit! He's already been out with them

You can't go wrong with them, light enough to hold and with a big view.

If he finds it a bit hard going to hold them, get a cheapo broom from Wilko's, and cut the handle down so when you turn it upside down, he can rest his elbows on a soft clean brush head. Cut it so it's just a bit higher than his shoulders, so looking at things higher in the sky is easy.

Simples! :)

just bought an adapter for my Meade DSI mono ccd from billet parts, now i can finally get rid of that filter slide, looks very well made, fitted it in a couple of minutes, now some time and some clear nights then i might be able to get some images.

now some time and some clear nights then i might be able to get some images.

Yeah good luck with that, the weather report for the next week for Nottingham is pants. :(