• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

EMS needs you! SGL2014

Perkil8r

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Perkil8r

• RonC

• T A WOW

• Brantuk

The scouts are catering ;)

I never knew Sheila was a scout....

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob and all that.....

Just out of interest, if it is tipping it down out side, are we all going to squeeze inside and set up or do we not have the room?

What shall we do if the weather is against us?

There will be room for a few more inside, otherwise it'll just be a case of see what we can do. There will already be more scopes than folks indoors so a few spare bodies will not go a miss. There are the Stellarium demo and slideshows in the cricket club, if raining maybe getthe iaging displays set up in there too? In the Scout building there will be me mucking about with science and plenty of scopes to look at as well as the Scouts doing the drinks etc. I think there will be enough for folks to look at no matter what happens, at the end of the day it's free anyway so it's not like they will feel short changed ;)

Guest fondofchips

Outside & Jupiter is fine.

Sorry for the slow reply the internet filter at work has classed this website as 'Games' and won't give me access.

Cheers,

Harry & Wally.

Outside & Jupiter is fine.

Sorry for the slow reply the internet filter at work has classed this website as 'Games' and won't give me access.

Cheers,

Harry & Wally.

No worries, that's great thanks :thumbsup:

As this will be my 1st time can I turn up and just see what happens ?

No worries, feel free to bring the scope though, we can soon find a space :)

Guest fondofchips

Metcheck is currently showing clear skies for the 18th with a temperature of -11°C from 6pm.

So I'd better start putting my layers of clothing on at around 3pm.............

And sit near a radiator.

Turn the car heater up, etc.

Only joking of course :D

Hi mike. Is it still ok if I bring my set up with me and put it on display?

Do you know what time we should start turning up to set up our kit?

Really looking forward to this!

Mike, unless there is a very hard frost the cricket pitch will be a quagmire, so the outside scopes will have to go on hard-standing. How much room will we have available for car parking & will that leave enough space for scopes? I've never seen Wysmeswold in daylight so not much idea what other space there is.

At the minute the pitch is still Okay. It's been better, but it's certainly workable. I have an alternative plan for the scopes if the weather continues to make it worse though, there is space behind the scout building which drains much better and will be suitable if we feel the need on the day.

If worst comes to worst though we'll have to stick to binos and mk1 eyeball outside, there'll still be plenty for them to see even like that, but more importantly I have ensured we have enough room for the very worst case that we can't set up outside at all. There is enough room for all the scopes to go indoors, and trust me when I say there will be plenty going off indoors now for just about any eventuality.

We have 2 slideshows running, a stellarium demonstration, more science experiments going on due to me blackmailing teachers to come and help me out with them, plus loads of equipment covering Bino's, Dobs, Fracs, SCT's and imaging rigs too. Just thought though, maybe we should grab a Solarscope too! I'll try and sort that today.

Parking is going to be very limited, we may have to have some of you unload then move vehicles down the road a bit. The police are sorting parking and traffic control so it will be safe enough. Most visitors are likely to be on foot anyway :)

Hi mike. Is it still ok if I bring my set up with me and put it on display?

Do you know what time we should start turning up to set up our kit?

Really looking forward to this!

I'm trying to sort out setting up times with the locals as they need to open up the scout building. Originally I was thinking 4pm onwards, but this might be a bit late for doing everything, I'm aiming on being there 2 or 3pm, there is a lot to sort!

And yes please, was it the 250p?

Yeah the 250 pds and my bresser 152 frac dual mounted on my skytee. I'll aim to be there about 3 after I finish work, then I can help you with any thing if you like.

I've got a solar filter, (thanks astrocookie) for the 130 mike, not quite a PST but gets the idea across.

I've got Steve to bring his PST thanks Andy. For newbies I would rather not even mention solar filters TBH, but thanks for the offer :)

Hi Mike

If you need assistance setting up I can be there around 4. If not I'll come and give moral support later.

It looks as though you have plenty of scopes on display, so won't bring mine along.