• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

My Workshop/Warm Room/Man Cave Build

Doc

What great bit of kit. That looks like someones shed project and its really well thought out. I have an electric hand bandsaw which takes the work out of sawing. Hand hacksawing is so last year :-)

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

A plasma disc (1mm thick) in a 115mm angle grinder works well, just let it work at it's own speed and it won't generate much heat and the disc will last longer.

Well managed to get it running for 3 minutes before jamming. Still needs a little fettling but it's getting better.

I've got an angle grinder so will buy some discs Baz.

• 2 months later...

Spent yesterday in the workshop and I must admit I loved it. 

Made myself a couple of drawbars. For those who don't know they secure my collet chuck in either the lathe spindle or the miliing machine spindle.

The chuck screws onto the drawbar with a M10 thread and is then inserted into the spindle. The drawbar is then tightened and the chuck cannot work loose.

To remove chuck simply undo drawbar nut and hit lightly with a hammer and the collet chuck unscrews from the drawbar.

The Myford is the longer one. I made it so it goes through the hole in the door so I can have the guard closed while I'm working.

First proper items I've made. Next some T slot clamps.

IMG_20161208_154324.jpg

IMG_20161208_154319.jpg

IMG_20161209_120323.jpg

IMG_20161208_154239.jpg

IMG_20161209_120341.jpg

Edited by Doc

Fab work Mick, very satisfying no doubt! I imagine everywhere is clean as a whistle too! ?

That's a dead cool device and nicely engineered Mick.

The chuck on my drill press is one of those conical friction grip ones that tap onto spindle and it's a right pain to get off. A drawbar would be very useful. :)

If it's a drill press I bet it has a tang on the morse taper KIm. In that case you just need a drift but you need to know what taper you have.

Similar to this one:

2MT drift

• 3 months later...

Just a little update as few people have asked me how the shed is coming along.

I've been busy building a little stationary steam engine, nothing really involved but it's going to look good and it's basically to jog my memory into using the lathe and milling machine, something I haven't done for 30 years. If it all goes well then I'll build the Alt/Az mount next. In case anyone is interested I'll post a build thread and photo's later on.

I bought a really old air compressor which will run the engine.  I also have air in the workshop now with a airline and gun. Also bought a bench press for the shed, might come in handy one day.

GJvpdR.jpg

hrtsGl.jpg

• Like 3

I'll be interested in your alt-az mount design Mick....

Give me a shout if you want to look at mine.

I work in Notts so could always bring it over after work sometime ?

I too will be interested in your altaz mount and would also be pleased to see any progress on your steam engine project. :thumbsup:

Thanks Guys. 

To reignite my old apprenticeship days I decided to build a two cylinder vertical marine engine. The plans are here if you want to have a look. They are in metric but I'm building it in imperial.

http://www.vapeuretmodelesavapeur.com/telechargements4/bicyl-marin.-vertical.pdf

http://www.john-tom.com/MyPlans/Steam Engines/MarineEngine.pdf

I'm about halfway through now and have found it fairly straight forward. 

• Like 2

Of course I'm interested in the alt/az mount, but the I've always loved steam engines. Used to love visiting Snibston till they closed it down. Really looking forward to both build threads - the engine looks dead natty. :)

Two Cylinder Vertical Steam Engine

First part I made was item #1 the base plate. I put engineers blue on the item and marked out the overall size of the base. I then moved the base to the milling machine and made it the correct size. Then back to the surface plate and height gauge to mark out the holes etc.

I like to mark out the pattern so I know I'm in the correct vicinity as I use the dials on the milling machine to accurately plot where I should be. The dials are very accurate and you can work to within 1 thou. I mounted the base plate on the milling table and indicated one side with a DTI and then clamped it down. 

AQ13e3.jpg

Moving the table in the correct directions and then I was able to centre spot, drill, and tap all the holes. Next with a 5.5mm slot drill cutter I was able to remove the material to form the slots.

k0gVQz.jpg

The next item was the bearings blocks item #2. The plans say it should be in bronze but that's pretty expensive so I made the bearing blocks in aluminium and the bearing in bronze. 

Firstly they needed to be split so the way to do this is glue to flat pieces of aluminium together and with the milling machine shape the block to resemble the correct dimensions. Then drill and ream the shaft hole. You then split the block  and then make the bearings on the lathe. 

I don't have a rounding corner cutter yet so I left the top of the bearing blocks flat. When I get the cutter I will round them off.

aA7kGL.jpg

rY1zmi.jpg

tQclEz.jpg

rvSTjF.jpg

• Like 2

Next item was an additional add on to item #2, I decided to make three oil cups for the bearings. These were made on the lathe out of brass rod and included a M4 thread. The bearing caps were also threaded M4 to accept the oil cups.

eCQ7IG.jpg

8P8KZt.jpg

• Like 3

Great stuff Mick. Ken would be well pleased to see the mill being used for a steam engine

Edited by philjay

Next are items #10 and #11 on the plans. These are called the cylinder bottom cover and piston rod gland.

Started off machining the cover out of aluminium bar in the lathe.

K4TypD.jpg

8n78eC.jpg

The only really critical measurement here is the lip that sits inside the cylinder it needs to be a snug fit. I changed the gland thread from M12 to M14 as I never had a 12mm tap but had a few 14mm taps.

6PMaKr.jpg

A little bronze plug was pressed into the end then a 5.8mm drill was used to drill through the complete assembly and then reamed with a 6mm reamer.

RINgTe.jpg

I then tested the fit on the cylinders, remember in time these cylinders will be fitted inside a cylinder head. They are Bronze bushes, they have an internal diameter of 38mm but the outside diameter needs to be reduced to at least 42mm, so I need to manufacture some sort of expanding arbor.

7ROgiA.jpg

WAL07F.jpg

The gland plug was then made, this was a straightforward lathe job and a M14 thread cut on one end. Once again a 6mm drill was used to drill through the gland. I don't seem to have any photo's of the gland nut.

I piece of stainless stall 6mm bar was inserted to check for smoothness and straightness in the bore.

That all looks like top quality engineering Mick. You must have spent a lot of happy hours on that. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Doc said:

It winds the day away Pete.

I can see it is a labour of love. :2thumbsup:

Keep the photos coming Mick, it is great to see what you are up to in your 5 star luxury workshop. :)