• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

My Workshop/Warm Room/Man Cave Build

Doc

Nice to see the Sharp in a place where it will be used Mick. I think it was set up and never used by Ken but I know a neighbour used it for a bit of light machining and as a press to press out some Rolls Royce valve guides once.

It certainly was a bargain, I wished I had the room and enthusiasm to have taken it in myself but I couldn't justify it

Cant remember did it have any belts? Was wondering if youd got any yet

It does have belts, and they are fitted under the blue hood. The pulleys at the back are used when it is in horizontal mode that's why they have no belts.

I'll stick up some better photo's later.

A few more photo's for you to look at.

IMG_3278.JPG

IMG_3279.JPG

IMG_3287.JPG

IMG_3292.JPG

IMG_3295.JPG

IMG_3296.JPG

I put up some racking the other day as well.

IMG_3269.JPG

IMG_3270.JPG

IMG_3272.JPG

Edited by Doc
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly finished now only need a few hand tools and some cutting tools for the lathe and milling machine.

I have bought a drill, grinder and sander as well. The good thing is the lathe, milling machine and drill all use MT2 accessories so I only need to buy one off everything and just share it around.

A few photo's:

IMG_20160907_151615.jpg

IMG_20160907_151031.jpg

IMG_20160907_151108.jpg

IMG_20160907_151039.jpg

IMG_20160907_151035.jpg

IMG_20160907_151103.jpg

IMG_20160907_151118.jpg

This has come on amazingly since I last logged on! Amazing stuff Mick. Really nice work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is far too tidy, you need to find something to make a bit of a mess with Mick. :D

Just a thought, is your grinder mounted a bit far back, you might have problems getting stuff in at the right angle. That was a problem I had and put mine right to the front.

I mounted it there as I was going to get a bigger grinder rest and also was thinking off a grinding jig for drills etc and these would go in front of the wheels of course.

If I do find it a pain I can move it back easy enough.

The drill jig I have uses the side of the wheel, which is fine to start with, but if it gets uneven you can't dress it like you can the front of it. I do it by hand now anyway, I was taught, read violently coerced to resharpen drill bits by one of my old tutors. I bloody hated him for the mindless hours sharpening every bit the the college workshop had. But I am grateful now.

Last time i sharpened a drill I was an apprentice so at least 30 years ago.

I used to do it by hand as well, I got pretty good at it if I remember correctly.

The workshop looks absolutely fabulous now Mick. Superb job!

And seeing how professionally you've done it all, I'm sure the stuff you make will be a similar standard - especially that big dob. ;)

(My garage is a tip by comparison lol)

• 2 weeks later...

BENCH DONKEY SAW REBUILD

Picked up a knackered bench mounted donkey saw last week off E-Bay for £30 from Long Eaton. Fed up hack sawing so with a little TLC this could be good. Well yesterday I stripped it all down and found out that two of the bushes had oval bores and the shaft looked very pitted so today I used the myford to make two new bushes and a shaft.

Tomorrow I'll start putting it all back together, considering it's a shed build saw it's pretty well made, all the bearings are numbered.

Once together and working, I'll take it apart again and then paint it. It needs a new belt as well and some new blades. I'm also going to fit a NVR on/off switch for safety.

Here's some photo's

IMG_20161003_163332.jpg

IMG_20161003_163402.jpg

IMG_20161003_163343_01.jpg

IMG_20161003_163336.jpg

IMG_20161003_163414.jpg

IMG_20161003_163426.jpg

IMG_20161003_163442.jpg

IMG_20161003_182445.jpg

It's a bit Heath Robinson, but it looks well made, sure saves on elbow grease. A nice find there Mick.

Not sure it's fixed yet Kim :lol:

All put back together and it runs, but then jams up so I've been tickling all the bolts to see which ones are tight or to loose.

It's a bit noisy as well but then it is as Baz said heath robinson like.

But it does cut so it's working just needs a little fettling.

I'll post some pics later.

• Like 2