• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

My Workshop/Warm Room/Man Cave Build

Doc

Fantasic stuff Mick. :respect:

You could earn a good living putting these things together.

That flooring is brilliant.

Where did you get it from Mick I could do with some of that in my shop.

Wow!  Looks really comfy - just needs curtains!

• 3 weeks later...

Just need some window covering such as blinds. Then get some Dexion racking for storage.

Then some wood to build the benches.

At the moment I need to do some painting in the lounge as we have a new carpet and sofa coming in July so I've been told that this is more important then my shed :lol:

Its a shame we dont live closer together Mick we have just put a load of that shelving in the skip at work.

4 hours ago, Doc said:

At the moment I need to do some painting in the lounge as we have a new carpet and sofa coming in July so I've been told that this is more important then my shed :lol:

Your wife needs to get her priorities sorted out! :lol:

1 hour ago, Graham said:

Its a shame we dont live closer together Mick we have just put a load of that shelving in the skip at work.

What a shame Graham.

14 hours ago, Doc said:

Just need some window covering such as blinds. Then get some Dexion racking for storage.

Then some wood to build the benches.

You will also have to do the lounge painting at least to the same high standard as the shed... ☺️

Sure will do Steve.

The shed got three undercoats and two top coats and the lounge will get the same ;)

• 2 weeks later...

BENCH BUILDING

I'm now at the stage to build my benches. 

A friend of mine is having a new kitchen and he gave me a 500mm four drawer unit and a 300mm cupboard so I've decided to include these in the bench. In the end the bench will be painted grey so the drawers will look uniform.

I'm after another three of the drawer units if you know of any or even have some yourself I would be interested in buying them.

The posts are 75mm x 75mm and the wood work made out of 38mm x 89mm CLS timber.

The photo's below show the frame being built. The outer will be cladded in 12mm MDF and the cupboard and drawer unit will be secured in place.

The unit measures 2200mm x 700mm. And there will be a 2300mm x 750mm solid wooden top 50mm thick. I'm going to fill the screw holes with a wooden dowel and cut that off and sand down so eventually no screw holes will be seen. I'm also going to add quite a few bracing lengths across the top to add strength.

There will be another bench built for the other side of the workshop this one larger so the milling machine and maybe a lathe can sit on top of it.

The first photo shows the bench I built for my chop saw and table saw, it had a dust extractor below it.

IMG_3043.JPG

IMG_3040.JPG

IMG_3041.JPG

IMG_3045.JPG

IMG_3046.JPG

IMG_3048.JPG

IMG_3050.JPG

IMG_3053.JPG

IMG_3051.JPG

Edited by Doc
  • Like 3

Just a small suggestion... I'd add some diagonal bracing into the frame behind and alongside the spaces where the cabinets will go. Wouldn't need anything heavy, but would add to the strength if you're planning on doing heavier work.

Alan

thats coming along nicely Mick.

If you want any more of those doors Mick I have a shed load of them here.

I could run them over to Kelling for you.

9 hours ago, Big Al said:

Just a small suggestion... I'd add some diagonal bracing into the frame behind and alongside the spaces where the cabinets will go. Wouldn't need anything heavy, but would add to the strength if you're planning on doing heavier work.

Alan

There will be a lot of diagonal bracing going on Alan :thumbsup:

50 minutes ago, Graham said:

thats coming along nicely Mick.

If you want any more of those doors Mick I have a shed load of them here.

I could run them over to Kelling for you.

The doors on the other bench I'm going to make I was going to make from plain MDF and try and router the moulding shape into them. So if you have doors with the same design I would love them.

I can pick them up from you at Kelling. In the mean could you let me know the sizes, maybe stick a photo up of them.

Cheers Graham.

1 hour ago, Brantuk said:

Looks good so far Mick :)

Aim to please Kim :lol:

Cheers Graham.

Done a bit more today. This bench is getting really heavy now, and it still has the top to go on and another set of drawers.

Over engineered again, you think I would have learnt my lesson by now :lol:

IMG_3054.JPG

IMG_3055.JPG

IMG_3056.JPG

IMG_3057.JPG

IMG_3058.JPG

IMG_3059.JPG

IMG_3061.JPG

IMG_3062.JPG

IMG_3064.JPG

IMG_3063.JPG

Hi Mick

Sorry to disappoint but these have been outside too long. :(

Probably something to do with all this bloody rain.

They are just about good enough for fire wood if I can dry them out. :(

A few more hours spent on it.

Just one more side panel to do and then buy some wood for the top.

Then of course paint it grey and blue.

IMG_3069.JPG

IMG_3070.JPG

IMG_3071.JPG