• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

My Workshop/Warm Room/Man Cave Build

Doc

I've watched this thread quietly, brilliant workshop in the making!

I work in the remnants of the Victorian building in which Myford made their name. The day the gates closed was a sad day indeed. Their lathes tend to hold their price well and until they 'shut up shop' records were held for every machine they'd ever built. My better halfs' Grand Father used to be foreman there too, many moons ago. Such a shame it will likely end up as houses at some point :(

At least spares are plentiful and knock off parts cheap! I have the smaller brother, the ML10 at my disposal :)

First lathe I ever got my hands one was a small Myford. They were the schools ones and really took the abuse well. There was one by a window, which had been replaced with a steel plate, they got fed up of replacing it after chuck keys were left in the chuck and started. After a year or two, I was allowed on the teachers big old German jobby, that was a thing of beauty.

There were two Bridgeport Millers and a Shaper, a fully stocked forge and a small aluminium foundry.

Christ knows what the RAMS (Risk Assessment and Method Statements.) would be now for that lot. 

Very nice Mick. That Myford is a collectors piece puts my modern Chester Lathe to shame.

Ive actually been cleaning my lathe and milling machine, the slides have gradually stiffened up. Stripped all slides and found it was the Chinese grease solidifying, all free and easy now.

Got some more wood coming tomorrow. So I will be building the second bench, which will hold the milling machine, bench drill, bench grinder and maybe a linisher.

Secured the vice to the bench today and gave the top a couple of stains of Danish oil.

Been practising on the lathe today. I bought some HSS tools and one carbide tipped tool as well. Both work very well, but the carbide tip does have the edge. 

I'm struggling to get a fantastic finish so I'm looking into that but there is so many things that can cause this. 

Looking good. Can't wait to move into our new house so I can start on my new man caves. One outside and one in the loft! You've raised the bar pretty high though Mick!

8 hours ago, Perkil8r said:

Looking good. Can't wait to move into our new house so I can start on my new man caves. One outside and one in the loft! You've raised the bar pretty high though Mick!

Exciting plans Mike. :thumbsup: 

What area are you moving to?

I'm sure we'd all be interested in the details of your man caves, you'll have to start a thread. :)

I agree Mike don't forget a thread.

I done some work on my second bench today and forgot to take any photo's :facepalm2:

Oh well I'll do some next time.

Started the second bench build. I have a twist with this one, keep watching and all will become apparent.

IMG_3204.JPG

IMG_3203.JPG

IMG_3205.JPG

Hmm... methinks this one's gonna have stuff mounted on it like saws and drills n stuff at a guess? ;)

(Maybe even an upside down router.... lol)

Edited by Brantuk

Some more pictures.

IMG_3210.JPG

IMG_3212.JPG

IMG_3213.JPG

IMG_3220.JPG

IMG_3218.JPG

And done a little more today. I bought two Bisley filing cabinets and placed one at each end. One will be for the Milling Machine and the other for the lathe. I'll put things like drills, milling cutters etc in them.

I'm going to enclose them in and this should leave two 1000mm cupboards and I'll paint the m blue just like the first bench.

Here's a few more photo's.

IMG_3221.JPG

IMG_3224.JPG

IMG_3226.JPG

IMG_3228.JPG

IMG_3230.JPG

Edited by Doc
  • Like 3

That isn't going to move far, nice one Mick.

I haven't forgot about the vice bolts....well I had until just now, but I will sort them for you.

I bought some M12 threaded rod Martyn as I need to secure the milling machine down as well so I bought 5 rods 1 metre each for £10 from screwfix, a bit of a bargain I thought.

Thanks anyway.

Looking great Mick. :thumbsup:

Where do you get your timber? I was looking at some in our local diy superstore that was shaped like a dogs back leg! :o

Normally from a shop on E-Bay called DIYclick2buy  http://stores.ebay.co.uk/DIYclick2buy?_trksid=p2047675.l2563  I buy from here as they offer free delivery. 

If I need emergency wood I get that from Wickes much better then B&Q.

For MDF sheet I use a small place in Ilkeston called Ilkeston Ply you can see them on E-Bay   http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321984881163?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&var=510918116289&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• Like 2

Spent the day putting the worktop onto the bench. It's made out of 4 planks of 200mm x 50mm C24 timber screwed and glued down.

Looks good and very very heavy.

It's also been painted same colour as walls.

Just need 4 doors now to match the other bench.

IMG_3248.JPG

IMG_3249.JPG

IMG_3250.JPG

IMG_3252.JPG

IMG_3253.JPG

IMG_3255.JPG

IMG_3256.JPG

IMG_3257.JPG

Edited by Doc
  • Like 3

Very substantial Mick.

From experience Mick I would advise a riser plank at the back, because you WILL drop your rule/tape/chisel/milling cutter (insert tool here) down the back

Managed to track down some doors over the weekend, they aren't a perfect match and were 30mm to short height wise but I made them fit.

Just need to paint them Oxford blue to match the metal drawer cabinets.

Also made up a 900mm x 600mm steel drip tray for the milling machine to sit on. Just bought a sheet of galvanised 2mm steel and bent it round some wood and hammered it into shape. It's not welded but the joints look very neat and secure.

Here's a few photo's.

IMG_3265.JPG

IMG_3267.JPG

IMG_3268.JPG

Looks dead smart Mick :)

Based on that you can come round and redo our wardrobes and kitchen units lol :rofl:

9 minutes ago, Brantuk said:

Looks dead smart Mick :)

Based on that you can come round and redo our wardrobes and kitchen units lol :rofl:

You couldn't afford me Kim :lol:

Spent the last couple of days finishing  the bench, the doors are now on and painted in a lovely shade of Oxford Blue. All I need to do now is to put some shelves inside the cupboards. 

After that was done I mounted the milling machine, I then stripped it down, checked the timkin bearings and generally lubed and greased everything. Gave it a good clean and made sure the gibs are adjusted correctly. To be honest the milling machine looked like it has been unused, it's in pretty perfect condition. It's universal and I have the arbour to run it in horizontal configuaration as well.

Another added bonus it has the same nose spindle thread as my Myford lathe and is MT2 taper the same as the Myford so tools will fit both.

All I need now is to buy some tooling.

For people who want to know it's a Sharp Mk2 universal milling machine made in 1989 by Town Bent Engineering. It's number 719 and i have the original purchase receipt for £1664.15. Thanks to Phil J I managed to pick it up for £300 which is a great bargain.

Here's some photo's.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=ebbd0e2686f40f9d

IMG_3286.JPG

Edited by Doc
  • Like 2