• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

EMS1 (East Midlands Starparty 1)

cosmic dave

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cosmic dave

• RonC

• catman161

• Daz Type-R

Guest robbobsam

I work in the fire service and am on shift from 12-14th October so I am going to have to try and get the time off work. If I can make it I will do. I am really looking forward to viewing the stars and beyond through a proper telescope.

Your'e welcome to use mine, I'll be bringing some Bins as well, so should have all bases covered. Bet I'll forget something though.

I'm begining to get excited although the idea of ways to spend my money whilst there is scary lol. I'm still going to have to leave for a few hours sat late afternoon / evening to go do some work, but I should be back 10-30 to 11ish. We may need to organise somebody to lead me in with a red torch when I return though ;)

Just a quick one on the etiquet(spelling?) on vehicle lights. My van flashes it's indicators when I lock/unlock it, am I best to cover them over whilst there? Returning later won't be a problem as long as somebody can meet me away from the observing/camping area and guide me in, I won't need my headlights on. Still undecided on if I should bring my tent or sleep in the van as per normal... If tent I'm thinking I need a bed of some description to get me off the floor, not used to camping in the colder months :unsure: any suggestions?

Guest Fluke

I dont mind you sharing my 4 man tent Mike as its just me in it. Ive got a spare single inflatable bed you can borrow too if you need it.

Yes Mike cover your lights and also your interior light if you are going into your boot or hatchback alot, some people like to work out of their hatchbacks.

Cheers Dan, might take you up on the offer of the bed if I take my tent.

Mick, I'll cover the indicators, the interior lights are no problem, one doesn't work, the others I rarely turn them on anyway due to having the van open for hours on end and avoiding flat batteries ;)

So who wants to voluntier as guide? lol

Well emailed again

2 weeks ago and still no reply. Starting to get a little annoyed now. That's 3 emails and no response. Will try ringing when I get back from honeymoon in a couple of weeks.

Try ringing them? I only emailed once a few weeks back and had a reply a couple of days later...

Yes I think calling seems to be the best option. Don't forget to bring your unwanted astro items for the astro boot sale on saturday.

Great news, we seem to have got quite a few people coming now. I look forward to meeting you all.

No ron, I will call in on my way home from work tonight to see what's going on, I will post numbers later.

OK I've been to the campsite (which is packed) and they say they have got 20 pitches booked for EMS1 ! So I'm thinking probably 30 + people ? That's a great response from ems members thanks very much. There still is plenty of room if people want to book, think we need a EMS1 sticker for the event now ;)

Change of plan for me! Cannot tow caravan any more so will have to buy a tent and use the hook-up I've booked already! Still going, nmot sure about the wife unless there is a local B&B for her??

Change of plan for me! Cannot tow caravan any more so will have to buy a tent and use the hook-up I've booked already! Still going, nmot sure about the wife unless there is a local B&B for her??

We've got a 4 berth tent, or a driveway awning - which can sleep 2, you can borrow if that helps. We've also got 3 air beds, table, and bits and bobs they are spare that can be borrowed if any one needs anything we have. :)

Thanks for the offer Caroline, apart from the tent I've got everything ta. Might need a tent for Kelling next year so will grab one off Ebay when I spot one!!

Many thanks

Ron

Thanks for the offer Caroline, apart from the tent I've got everything ta. Might need a tent for Kelling next year so will grab one off Ebay when I spot one!!

Many thanks

Ron

Tents are like scope stuff, there's a lot of choice and rubbish out there!!!! Good luck ;)

At last, I can repay my knowledge and help in someway, lol. :P

i might need a new, better tent, where is a good place to shop for them, i know nothing about tents.

i`ve looked at a few but not really sure at what i`m looking at or for.

i might need a new, better tent, where is a good place to shop for them, i know nothing about tents.

i`ve looked at a few but not really sure at what i`m looking at or for.

The main points to consider with buying a tent are:- How many people are using it? If's there's 2, get a 3 or 4 berth, this will give plenty of room for your luggage. The tent berths don't allow for things, just people!!! Do you need or what to stand up? Do you need room to be able to sit in a chair or are you OK sitting on the bed? Do you need room for a toilet, or are the facilities close enough? A Comfort bottle makes a good comfort bottle, it has wide top. ;)

Are you cooking or buying food? If catering for yourself, you need to consider where you're doing this if the weather is a typical British summer, obviously a gas hob in a small low tent isn't safe. You could cook in a gazebo, or have sandwiches if it's wet lol.

If I were looking for a tent now, I would look at the shops that have a good reputation, and have a look at the displays you see at some of the larger shops. Look on a windy and or wet day, you can get a good feel for how one behaves in these conditions, they all look nice in the sun. There's nothing worse than a leaking tent or one that flaps and is pushed to the limits that you are always worrying about.

I think it's best to get one with a inner tent for sleeping in, this will keep you warmer, and keep the condensation drips off you. The single skin ones are fine, just don't touch the sides if it's raining!!!!

I've no experience, but have heard many comments about these package kits that include everything, the sleeping bags are thin and cold, the tent isn't best quality - probably won't last long. Like with many things, you get what you pay for!!! Do these points remind of any other hobby? :P

I hope this helps and doesn't confuse? Also the best deals are usually found out of season, and have you seen this website - http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/

Astronomy and camping go hand in hand, apply the same rules, and you won't go far wrong. :D (my new signature?)