• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

EMS1 (East Midlands Starparty 1)

cosmic dave

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cosmic dave

• RonC

• catman161

• Daz Type-R

We got all our camping stuff from go outdoors. If you get a membership card (costs £4) you get massive discount on everything.

Probably get a 4 man 'pop up' tent from Decathalon, easy for one person to put up and big enough for a man/women and his/her scope!

I've got a couple of days off next week so I'll have run out to go outdoors, I've looked at there website but It's nice to see stuff in the flesh, cheers everyone

We have a 12 man tent we use for hols, its a pain to put up but the space u get is great when its raining, we are off to woodhall spa next week for 4 days so it looks like getting wet again.

Guest Fluke
Probably get a 4 man 'pop up' tent from Decathalon, easy for one person to put up and big enough for a man/women and his/her scope!

Thats the one I got from there Ron, was £179, now £99 - plenty of room for you and all your gear :)

• 2 weeks later...

managed to persuade hubby he didn't really want to go to Cornwall that weekend! All booked so I will be there - woohoooo

Sheila

managed to persuade hubby he didn't really want to go to Cornwall that weekend! All booked so I will be there - woohoooo

Sheila

Cool it will be great to meet you, i will be posting more details soon...

EHU's again - would a 10m one be long enough?

most of them are about that, can't see u needing more then 10m, they are usually on the pitch or between 2 pitches, although I have not been to this site

Ok guys I paid a night visit to the site last night WOW it is very dark (must be on par with kelling) I did notice that the camp does have a few lights up in different areas inc our field so I have called the site owners today to voice my concerns and they have assured me they will and have no problems turning all the site lights off. The bottom field that we are using seems to be a little lower on the site with a small bank around it which seems to block the view to the road. :)

Obviously I don't want to big up the site to much to avoid disappointment but I feel you guys from the more built up areas of EMS will love the dark skies. Plenty of stars visable at dusk.

I know I have asked this question before but is anyone attending happy to do a talk ? I need volunteers I am trying to form a very loose programme and timetable.

Edited by cosmic dave

Dave, could you design a flyer, like you do for the ELAC meets, that I could print off and take up to the next North Lincs meet ?

Dave, could you design a flyer, like you do for the ELAC meets, that I could print off and take up to the next North Lincs meet ?

Will do Paul

YES!!!!!!!!! At last I got through and someone answered the phone!!! I am booked in for Friday and Saturday night! EMS1 here I come!! I so hope the skies are clear now-from what Dave says it sounds as though the darkness of the skies will beat my LP Leicester city centre backyard into a black hole (pun intended!) ;)

Apparently I can get a hard stand for my camper near the toilet block but I've no idea how far that is from the star party field. Has anyone seen the site and can you give me some advice. I think it might be a real pain lugging the equipment back to the van or setting up so far from everyone else if I cant get close to the pitches :-(. I've not been to a star party before so not sure what the format is !!

from wht'a been said I think we are down near a lake? Don't think thats by the toilets but not sure

If near a lake then make sure you're dew control is up to scratch - last time I did that it took only 20 mins to cover the whole gear in so much dew it was dripping. :)

Here is a picture of the site.

The field circled in red is where we are, I`m assuming the hard standing is where the caravans are, so I don't think it is that far....