• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Latest Purchases

Guest Kheldar

Sidereal,Solar,Lunar,Off and 3 timelapse settings Clive, looks like the old telephones don't it! :)

Phil's works a treat, if I had a camera, even I might be tempted to do a bit of wide field.

I did it some years, OK, a lot of years ago with a barn door mount, I still have it somewhere.  It took some working out to get a 1/4" whit bolt to do the tracking. I was one of a number of young sproglet's who our science teacher put in touch with a Mr Alan Heath of Trowell Grove, Long Eaton, a founder member of Ilkeston Astro Soc. He got us all fired up and we did this on Fuji chrome slide film. It was taken from Trent Meadows down the back end of Long Eaton. I copped an almighty rocket for coming in late, something like two o' clock. I think about three out of thirty six turned out anything acceptable. I might even still have them buried away in the attic somewhere. It might be this experience which turned me all visual. :D

Ha ha, the old film days! At we can now check the subs at the time without waiting for Boot's to print them! :)

These mounts are great and versatile for small stuff. Folks use them for small scopes but I wouldnt. Mine is the mount only, no dec shaft because I use it for camera only. It has various tricks on it but I doubt I shall use any of them except sideral rate and the off switch

Would it be worth taking the SW power tank apart and having a look if it's worth changing the battery? It might be a handy second power supply. You should be able to fit a new battery in, something like this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YUASA-17-12-NP-SEALED-LEAD-ACID-RECHARGABLE-BATTERY-17AH-12V-VOLT-/271380347291?hash=item3f2f87799b

Thanks for the link Martyn.

Much appreciated. I may look at 'doing a transplant'. Seems silly scrapping the whole thing.

Is this why my Powertank won't give an indicated 'charging' light when i plug it in then ? If the battery has died ?

It will if a cell has gone, there would be no circuit through the battery. I'll bet a Mars bar that it's a Chinese battery in it.

• Like 1

Decided i can no longer work with one eyepiece case. Two cases make more sense. 

So, i'm having one for 'Cyclops' : this will have my 31mm Nagler, my large 2" diagonal & my Barlow (Powermate) lenses in it. And whatever else.....

Case 2 will have the binoviewer, T2 prisms, and my eyepiece pairs in it.

Picked this up from Maplins, which caught my attention earlier. Good saving. £25 (reduced from £38)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/large-rugged-case-n79gg

21948991016_11626ae3a4_z.jpgUntitled by 21787062690_d7aa53bea5_z.jpgUntitled by

• Like 3

They're good cases Rob - very rugged and tons better than the alloy ones that fall to bits over time. :)

Edited by Brantuk

That looks smarter than your average Maplins case.

Let us know how you get on cutting out the foam. If you can make a good job of it I can see it being neater than pick and pluck foam.

My last item from the IAS is this..............BUT, i have to say i'm a little disappointed with it.

Can't believe this cost me over £100.

I'm sure it will do a job, but for the money, i expected something a bit more robust.

TBH, it feels like junk. Not a patch on the quality of the other Kendrick stuff i have.

Maybe i should have gone for their 'Digifire' 8 controllers.

I've been ripped off with this thing........ :(

21986140271_501b089568_o.jpgKAI-2001-SDCC-445w by

They're the same size as the standard silver coloured cases Pete.

But they don't have the clip locks on this one. The clips themselves feel a little poorly made, but i'm sure they'll be ok.

The handle however is really nice.

I'm well practised at cutting out the foam. I use a very sharp pair of scissors and take it bit by bit. Secret is not to cram too much in one case, weakening the foam dividers.

Edited by Bino-viewer

I had one of those Kendrick two channel controllers - I blew it up first time I plugged a dew band into it. The dew band was fine and still works happily on a Digifire 7. That's not to say you don't have a good one that works ok though. :)

Edited by Brantuk

I have used one of those for over 3 years with no issues, granted when I got mine it only cost £65 but I still thought that was expensive for what it does.

Guest CodnorPaul

Define a while, that could be only 5 minutes :lol::D

Nice haul you have made recently Paul, just in time for the dark nights!

Well a while was about a week Daz - Atmospheric Dispersion Corrector now in the toolbox.  Now no more spending, until payday

Sounds exciting Pete  :)

Wow....a 20 incher. Bet thats one heavy piece of glass. Don't drop it !!

Sounds exciting Pete  :)

Wow....a 20 incher. Bet thats one heavy piece of glass. Don't drop it !!

Cheers Rob, hope your feet are starting to heal.

My plan is to design and build an ultra lightweight dob around that mirror. I want it to be lighter in weight and easier to transport than my unnecessarily heavy 14". I know I can improve on that even with the big mirror.

Strewth Pete, you haven't taken the shine off the 14" yet.

Ah well, I'll give you a tenner for it, I know, I am cutting my own throat but you have to help a mate. :D

Where are you buying the mirror from?

The mirror is secondhand and was made by Oldham Optical, Scarborough, from low expansion Suprax and supposedly to 1/10PV. It was used by an astronomer who has now retired and moved abroad, who claimed it was superb on both DSO's and planets. I will be taking it to John Nichol of Nichol Optics, Teeside for a full quality report soon. If it is not up to scratch, he will refigure it. Both mirrors and coatings look to be in excellent condition and have been well protected in storage for about a year.

• Like 2

Strewth Pete, you haven't taken the shine off the 14" yet.

Ah well, I'll give you a tenner for it, I know, I am cutting my own throat but you have to help a mate. :D

This new project will be in the design stage for a while yet, so I will be getting some more use out of the 14" in the meantime :)

I will tell SWMBO about your offer and that you just don't appreciate it was a real bargain when I got the guy down to £200 :) :)