• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Latest Purchases

Guest Kheldar

Will do Rob - the LB has a very reasonable focuser - I'm sure it'll handle the grenade no probs - if it doesn't I'll just get a Moonlight or F/T or something. The main prob is gonna be counterbalancing the tube for large eyepieces - it's about time I solved that one lol. :)

oh no!!!! this is a very dangerous thread for me........lots of stuff that I didn't realize I needed...... Blazewear x5 insoles ordered......:facepalm:

Time to start fresh... Skywatcher star adventurer ordered, should make me get out a bit more, especially in the garden, easier to setup :)

Bespoke Skywatcher autofocuser adapter made by Graham for my starlight focuser. Soon will be able to be back up and running and hopefully get some images of Jupiter [emoji1303]. Thanks again Graham 9aee4bd5f7f94dd2822698607d3eb1d0.jpg

• Like 2

A book - Astronomical Sketching - a step by step introduction - Patrick Moore's practical series.

i am going to have a bash at this - following Docs inspiration and a nudge fromTweedledee, ?

Jusst need the tools now! Drawing pad, Pencils rubbers etc... ?

image.jpeg

• Like 3

It is a very comprehensive book Steve, and by complete coincidence I've been studying it today whilst chilling out at Thoresby Hall Spa ;)

Here's probably the most boring book in the world, but I just had to have it ;).

I like the last paragraph on the back cover :)...

ast1.jpg    ast.jpg

Well, following up on the book above, I have ordered some basic drawing materials to kick off an attempt at Astro sketching! ?

Dont hold your breath for a sketch yet ...! ☺️

image.jpeg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Smithysteve said:

Well, following up on the book above, I have ordered some basic drawing materials to kick off an attempt at Astro sketching! ?

Dont hold your breath for a sketch yet ...! ☺️

I got myself a similar set of drawing tools several weeks ago and have actually been practicing - sat on the sofa trying to copy from a book! :facepalm:

Quite right Pete, ? it's just the same as practising setting up your scope etc during the day so you are in with a chance of getting it right in the dark!

The moon is an obvious first target, it has loads of details and it appears on a regular basis!

i was studying the moon the other day and the area I was looking at closely, (for about an hour), I can still picture in my mind - sketching will help me to recognise and remember these features better, and develop my ability to 'see' better too. ?

Also, moon maps, virtual or hard copy don't seem to show the huge amount of relief or contrast shown around the terminator very well. That's what I hope to capture. ?

i am really looking forward to practising and doing it for real. ?

Steve and Pete I'm really looking forward to seeing what you can do. I haven't done ant for ages as well so might start again one day.

Well Mick, cheers for that! I am looking forward to having a go ?

It was your inspirational sketches that ignited the idea in the first place, I doubt I would have thought about doing it otherwise...?

I get a lot of pleasure from just looking at things. I am a photon nut! ?

This way I get to really look at stuff and sketch it too. 

I am sure it will be therapeutic as well. ?

I cannot be bothered to photograph stuff at this time, though I have the gear... 

I hope you start up again when you get the itch...

As per Steve above, I was inspired by your sketching Mick. Especially your older sketches of DSO's through your 16" as well as your newer stuff.

Cheers.

It's really kind of you to say that I was your inspiration.

I used the paint by numbers method as all my scopes have been non tracking and it's very hard to spend ages sketching and nudging the scope at the same time.

I had a scale in my head where #1 was white and #10 was black and anything between was a shade of grey. I used to draw the outline of the object and then add areas of light or dark and add a number from #1 to #10. Make sure you add all the detail you can see.

Then the next day I could colour it in.

• Like 2

Good idea your paint by numbers Mick, but it still needs a lot of talent to turn out superb sketches like yours :respect:

Sorry Guys is this working now?

IMG_0039.jpg.390ca1aeeb38b7b0765a25c901b

Typical I wake up this morning not a cloud in the sky. :facepalm: Doh!

• Like 1

Maybe we should all take an interest in clouds Doug, we probably would not see any more after that ;)⛈??⛅️

Allan the plumber has bought one of these a few weeks ago, he swears by it.

From the reviews I've read and the YouTube vids I've seen of it in action it looks fantastic. Was a real impulse buy after watching the videos. It's something I have always struggled with PA and getting it really accurate so I have high hopes for this :)