• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Latest Purchases

Guest Kheldar

That's a great book, the images don't look too impressive, but it's what you can expect to see. A cheesy title, but a superb book.

4 hours ago, BAZ said:

That's a great book, the images don't look too impressive, but it's what you can expect to see. A cheesy title, but a superb book.

As you say, the images are not spectacular, but are actually very much like you would see the objects through an eyepiece, which is one of the reasons I like it :)

Been a while since I purchased anything significant. I have just got this beautiful piece of engineering from our very own astro modding King (Graham). Lovely pier plate and mount adapter for the AZEQ6.

59e33d1d3881d59c36cc229d610a48bf.jpg

94a920234bb235d5185d33b157587e36.jpg

.........oh yeah and also a Piertech hydraulic pier to put the above on :)

So when I next have some time off and the weather will play ball it will be time to demount the OTA and remove the skywatcher pillar mount and then start digging so I can look to putting some cement down and then get the Piertech installed. This will mean some modification to the floor of my roll off shed to accommodate the new width/shape of the new pier but shouldn't be too difficult. It's the digging that I think will be the hard part! Will be great to not have to lay down on the decking to look at zenith stuff when it's all consigned though :)

ABM Self-Adhesive 'fine' flocking material.

http://www.abmshop.co.uk/self-adhesive-flock-material-8-c.asp

According to SGL, this stuff,  doesn't shed any fibres etc onto the primary like some other types.

The roll measures 650mm wide and is 5 metres long. (tube measures 1500 long by 280mm circumference.)

That will give me plenty spare should (read when) i make a pigs ear of fitting it.

Edited by Bino-viewer
typo's

2 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

ABM Self-Adhesive 'fine' flocking material.

http://www.abmshop.co.uk/self-adhesive-flock-material-8-c.asp

According to SGL, this stuff,  doesn't shed any fibres etc onto the primary like some other types.

The roll measures 650mm wide and is 5 metres long. (tube measures 1500 long by 280mm circumference.)

That will give me plenty spare should (read when) i make a pigs ear of fitting it.

Sounds like good stuff Rob.

Not heard of that one before.

3 hours ago, catman161 said:

Been a while since I purchased anything significant. I have just got this beautiful piece of engineering from our very own astro modding King (Graham). Lovely pier plate and mount adapter for the AZEQ6.

59e33d1d3881d59c36cc229d610a48bf.jpg

94a920234bb235d5185d33b157587e36.jpg

.........oh yeah and also a Piertech hydraulic pier to put the above on :)

So when I next have some time off and the weather will play ball it will be time to demount the OTA and remove the skywatcher pillar mount and then start digging so I can look to putting some cement down and then get the Piertech installed. This will mean some modification to the floor of my roll off shed to accommodate the new width/shape of the new pier but shouldn't be too difficult. It's the digging that I think will be the hard part! Will be great to not have to lay down on the decking to look at zenith stuff when it's all consigned though :)

That looks very solid Felix and the Piertech will make life easier for you :thumbsup:

Thanks Pete, thanks Rob. Is gonna be a while before I get it all installed I think. I'll probably post some pics when all done.

It is getting really cold out there  :brr:

Just ordered a spare double capacity battery for my heated clothing and more silver socks :)

I can thoroughly recommended Blazewear heated clothing for making winter astronomy more enjoyable. The silver socks are not heated, but feel like they are with silver thread reflecting the heat back. Checkout this site...

https://www.blazewear.com/

battery1_1.jpg.b9d6b97ce167ef1ab5ff511d8

Mey chair systems adjustable observing chair.

I've been spending my Delos money again !

Always wanted a dedicated height adjustable chair to observe with.

German quality, very solid (10kg) and adjusts from 61 - 86 cm. It also tilts through 70 deg either way.

They can be brought, at a price, from FLO 

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/misc/mey-observing-chair.html

However, i wasn't keen on paying this much, and easily sourced one from 'Musikhaus Thomann, from Burgebrach in Germany.

These Mey chairs are actually designed as musicians chairs, but are ideal for astromony observation.

Flo only list them in Black & white. However, from Thomann they are also available in Black / red & Black / blue. I opted for the blue one.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/mey_chair_systems_af6_kl_bl.htm

AND.....the price. €121 + a very reasonable €10 shipping that arrived in 3 working days.

Thats roughly £40 than FLO, and as much as i like FLO i can't afford to let £40 pass me by. No brainer.

The chair is great. Easily assembled, and easy to operate. Recommended. 

22916277599_409887e22a.jpg

Edited by Bino-viewer

Looks very smart and comfortable Rob :2thumbsup:

Just be careful with the tilt adjustment at full height :facepalm:

I fancy a go at sketching, but I'm not very artistic and have no idea. :dontknow:

I'm pretty good with a ruler for a bit of technical drawing but sketching will be a challenge. :chin_scratch2:

Sketching.jpg

Edited by Tweedledee

Yet another cloudy night (and its raining too) 

When will i actually get to use any of this gear.....? :wacko:

Anyway, here's my new Dob mount, coutesy of Orion Optics (OO)

It was a 9 week wait but with me being injured, not an issue for me.

I picked it up a few days ago, from OO in Stoke-on-Trent.

And i was quite pleased when John Pemberton handed me the mount already built. This was a bonus, as they can sometimes be tricky to put together.

I've not used it out in the field yet, but i've had the tube on it.

All seems good. Motions seem ok, and a little bedding in will improve things.

The mount itself is built to last. Its virtually indestructible.

10mm aluminium plate all round, which has an attractive black finish. 

My gym conditioning tells me it weighs around 10Kg, so with the scope all in , around 25kg give or take.

One of the beauties with this mount is its versatility.

It has a small footprint, so is easy to store / transport.

OO Dobs use tube rings, so i can raise or lower the tube, and also turn it to suit.

I also went for the additional 'variable friction brake'. This gives greater control, especially with heavy eyepieces, bino-viewers etc.

The next Dob related purchase will be a tracking platform sometime in 2016.

23474798926_5dc6d7e952.jpgUntitled by 23500944325_7b381f3280.jpgUntitled by

23418456321_64fa91a11c.jpgUntitled by

23418458051_1c4f9977fd.jpgUntitled by

• Like 2

That looks great Rob. Very smart and really stable at 10kg.

I like the variable friction brake, and might be able to make use of that idea, cheers :thumbsup:

Edited by Tweedledee

You probably don't need it if you have a filter wheel, but I bought a baader protective T-ring for my DSLR. You can fit a Baader flter into it, which can be handy if the OTA/reducer train doesn't have a 2" filter thread.

757c3bd667db4d70d0b37dc9839aae5d.jpg

Custom made base with levelling feet for the Piertech pier from our very own Graham. Thanks again Graham [emoji4]

Looks good Felix - be nice to see a pic when the pier is all set up. Novel alternative to digging a concrete hole. :)