• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

EMS 4

BAZ

I've phoned up 3 times today, each time I just get the answering machine, I leave a message but they call back when I'm unable to answer (as I'm at work). Martyn said he was also going to call them, hopefully he has had better luck, I will try again when I leave work.

I've phoned up 3 times today, each time I just get the answering machine, I leave a message but they call back when I'm unable to answer (as I'm at work). Martyn said he was also going to call them, hopefully he has had better luck, I will try again when I leave work.

Thanks Daz really think I've put the cat among the Pigeons with this one 

Not really Allan, we would have been none the wiser unless you phoned up and it came out in conversation.

• Like 1

Thanks Daz really think I've put the cat among the Pigeons with this one

Glad you posted up about it Allan.

Good to be kept informed about the good and the bad, so we can be prepared to make the best of it, or even work out a strategy in advance to minimise any inconvenience.

• Like 1

I haven't been able to get through either, mostly down to a phone on O2, which says I have no network connection. I tried on the landline when I got in, but again no reply.

I will be ringing first thing in the morning.

Ian from the campsite has just rang me back. They have been out and just got back to our calls.

The "Kids" will be 6 sixteen year old's supervised by two adults doing the Duke of Edinburgh scheme, these will be pitched down the end of the far field as predicted. They have been made aware of our needs. They would like it if we could give them a look round some stuff if it's clear and I would be happy to do this.

The "Caravanners" are six vans, these will be requiring EHU pitches, but Ian assures me that if any of us are moved from our booked pitches, he will ensure that the sky view is as good, or better than before. This group attend every year, and it was only through them sending an email he realised he hadn't booked them in. If we are moved it's to allow them to be put at the other end of our field so they can all be together, and we can be away from them. He has explained to them why we are there and that we are looking for it to be dark, no outside lights will be on. There are no kids with the caravan group, they are all couples.

He has apologised if this has caused concern, and will do his best to make sure we are all happy. As he says, it's his livelihood, so he cannot turn away business.

I asked about what time we could get on site, to have plenty of time to set up, he said turn up when you want! I said I would take some bin liners and masking tape, so we can shield any lights that cannot be turned off, but there is no lighting around the site.

It looks like we will be okay.

• Like 3

Excellent Martyn.

There shouldn't be any real problems.

I think you've addressed all our concerns :thumbsup:

Fantastic stuff!

Duke of Edinburugh kids won't mess about, the awards are hard work, they won't be the usual run of the mill 16 year olds, I too am happy to show them some stuff.

And I fully understand where Ian is coming from and personally I'm happy with his response. Yeah it's a shame about the other caravaners but at least he has made them aware, I may even pop over to see them and ask if they want a look, if were polite, it may just go towards them bring careful with their lights.

:)

Phew! Glad to here that we should be OK. I expect to arrive Thursday & may stay until Monday.

I think we will be fine, Ian has a fine line to tread to keep everyone happy. Being polite and building bridges with others really goes along way to gaining respect.

Nice one Martyn and Daz thanks for your efforts.

Can you count me out of any outreach with the scouts, its not cos Im an ignorant sod its because of my ME. If any come to me I shall refer them to the main group.

See you friday

No worries Phil, I will pop over and see them too, ask them to come my and Martyn's way, fully understand, I will also explain about the imaging lot as well, hopefully keep them away from the expensive kit.

Glad that's sorted.

Thanks Martyn and Daz.See you Friday as early as i can!!

Ron

Sorry still don't think it'll be okay said we'd have the site to ourself not going and going to ask for refund

I know trying to convince myself had arrange not to go because of this issue that I brought to EMS notice have packed all my camping gear away I don't know !,,,!,,

Sorry still don't think it'll be okay said we'd have the site to ourself not going and going to ask for refund

We were only guaranteed the whole site to ourselves if enough members of EMS booked, this was made clear from the start, unfortunately, not enough members are coming so we don't have a leg to stand on.

To be honest, it was no different to EMS 1,2 and 3 at Anderby and is no different to Kelling with those muggles in the caravans.

It will be a shame if you don't go Allan.

:(

In the eyes of Studfold, EMS must be quite an unusual bunch with some odd requirements compared to the average camper :ph34r::blink: .

We are definitely the odd ones out, so we should be tolerant of our neighbours. Also, if Studfold turns out to be a really good site for us, then next time, with more advanced notice and hopefully more interest, we might be able to take over the whole site and have it solely for our own purposes.

Just a thought :)

As long as the people in the caravans and the scouts know what we are there for, and they agree to keep lights off then I'm ok with it.

We all know it's almost impossible to get exclusive rights. We cannot fill this site and indeed many sites with the amount of people to make it possible for the site owners to give us exclusive rights. Money is money and any owner cannot turn business down.

As long as he bends over backwards to make our visit an enjoyable one, then I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 3

Aghhhhh stop it I want to go but trying to convince myself that it's going to be an issue