• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

EMS 4

BAZ

I'm coming off and going through Knaresborough to give Harrogate a miss! A59-B6165-to Pateley Bridge via Ripley.

Looks the best route for towing a van!!

Ron, have a look at this way, I think I'm going to go this new way, it's slightly longer but I think quicker, and it also misses out Knaresborough, Wetherby and Harrogate, I.e, it completely misses all large towns. Also, not as many roads.....

M1

M18

A1 - off at J50

A61 south to Ripley

Right at the roundabout onto the B6165 all the way to Pately Bridge

Then take the B6265 Low Wath Road all the way to the campsite.

For me, 2 hrs 30 mins and 120 mile.

NEW INFO ON STUDFOLD FARM 

Just a quick heads up, been on the phone to Ian at Studfold asking about WIFI as no mobile phone coverage. They have a hot spot on the field and you pay per hour day week etc quick reasonable too

Secondly he advised that a Caravan club are due to arrive ( they come every year at this time) and some of us might be moved to make sure we're all together (he's still working this out) He says its only a small group of about 6 vans and they are quiet and keep themselves to themselves 

Lastly Ian advised a local youth (scouts i think ) group are booked into the lower field and when Ian told the group leader about our set up said he and his group would be interested and asked if clear they could join us B)  more for you visual guys I guess but still very hearting that he thought his group would be interested  :D

I explained that there would be a lot of expensive equipment about and people imaging would have cables around and the use of red light torches would be required. I do have some red filter film about I could bring that if they need to convert their torches to red light 

Well just thought I'd let the forum know 

See you all at Studfold whether you take the high road or the low road  :drama:

NEW INFO ON STUDFOLD FARM 

Just a quick heads up, been on the phone to Ian at Studfold asking about WIFI as no mobile phone coverage. They have a hot spot on the field and you pay per hour day week etc quick reasonable too

Awesome stuff - I was wondering if they would have a hot spot in the field or if it was just at reception - fantastic stuff!!!

Secondly he advised that a Caravan club are due to arrive ( they come every year at this time) and some of us might be moved to make sure we're all together (he's still working this out) He says its only a small group of about 6 vans and they are quiet and keep themselves to themselves 

Worried - very worried, bet they leave there darn lights on - I will have a word with Martyn, see if we can contact the site and ask to see what they intend to do.  The original person we spoke to did not mention this and understood what we needed, if we cant turn any lights off because they are there then that is no good.

Hopefully come back to you all on this point.

Lastly Ian advised a local youth (scouts i think ) group are booked into the lower field and when Ian told the group leader about our set up said he and his group would be interested and asked if clear they could join us B)  more for you visual guys I guess but still very hearting that he thought his group would be interested  :D

I explained that there would be a lot of expensive equipment about and people imaging would have cables around and the use of red light torches would be required. I do have some red filter film about I could bring that if they need to convert their torches to red light 

Errr, not to sure how I feel about this either - will see if we can get more info, they are gonna need the loo, not sure how happy I am them walking near the kit - kids will be kids after all.....

• Like 1

I thought the whole point of this camp site, at this time of the year  was that we were going to be the only ones around.

I thought the whole point of this camp site, at this time of the year was that we were going to be the only ones around.

Exactly Mick, at the time of booking we were not told about any other people, we were told that if enough booked we would have the field to ourselves, it seems that this was never the case.....

Hmm, potentialy dissapointing, possibly another example of site owners/manager saying yes to everyone not fully engaging with the requirements.

Sorry but if its clear I dont have the energy to give kids a tour so count me out on that one, I can struggle to do 2 hours ish if left alone but if Im being questioned all the time I will relapse. Dealing with kids/public takes energy I dont have anymore. I would sooner not go than do that.

Do you think we need to contact Studfold and get confirmation of whos at the site as if this is going to be an issue I'm going to pull out, maybe I didn't realise but reading what you're both saying this is going to cause problems 

Let me have a word with Martyn first, find out who he spoke to and let's see what is what, direct from them.

not happy about this at all

this is why I stopped going to the other venue

great caravan club  bbq's lights and kids  :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

when were they going to tell us that then

ask about rfunds while you are Martyn are on with them

Edited by Ibbo

when were they going to tell us that then

ask about rfunds while you are Martyn are on with them

agreed, I stand to lose 90 Quid

Well, I'm still going to make a weekend of it and see what happens. Not overly happy about the caravans but what can we do so late? Usally I love doing outreach and don't mind for an hour or so but clear skies will be at a premium if at all this weekend.

Edited by tuckstar

For what it's worth, I think the scouts will be in the other field (see big map) and i know most caravan club meets do not use EHU's and tend to stay away from others on a site.

If so, i don't see a big problem as long as information is shared with them. Not sure about the scouts visiting that could be a problem for imager's I think and should be discouraged as early as possible..

Still looking forward to it!

Ron

But isn't the issue all the extra light that's going to generated by the other campers

That's what I meant by information Allan, I don't see either of those staying up late anyway!! :)

stopping up is not the problem

its the "I have brought my light with me and I will  leave it on all night" and"we want the toilet lights on and the spotlights to see where we are going"

Like I say chaps, let me get hold of Martyn (I have texted him) see who it was he spoke to (I believe it's a lady called Anne) and let's see what is going on. She was informed about our needs and also offered to turn the lights on site off, she understood the need for darkness and did seem very keen that we got what we needed.

I for one are still going but let me get hold of Martyn and if he does not have time to phone up, I will tomorrow.

I will report back.

I'm disappointed with that news, but still hoping to have a good time there with some dark skies.

Not sure what general lighting will be on at night, but I am worried that on zooming in to google maps I can see what might be at least five equally spaced lamp posts right in view within a few yards of our pitches towards the middle of our field.

I'm sure if we just had six caravaners to deal with, then we could butter them up to keep their lighting to a minimum. Since it gets dark early now there are likely to at least be a lot of white torches flashing around till maybe 11pm especially with a group of scouts - all being prepared. :lol::(

Anyway, fingers crossed.

Well I for one am still going, no holiday this year so my 3 star camps are my holiday. Looks like some birding and a good 'local' so I'll make the best of it! :)

I will ring them tomorrow and find out what has gone off.

I wasn't told there would be any caravanners turning up, it was a bare field when we booked. I will let you know.

I am still going anyway, it cant be any worse than other sites we have attended and had to put up with people. A polite word works wonders. I also have no problem with a bit of outreach either, I understand if folks don't want to be involved. Most campers are in bed before ten anyway, well those on Red field were. :D

• Like 2