• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

EMS 4

BAZ

I am still interested but would be OK with camping with no hook up. I have to look at dates properly still and assuming it's term time I would be late Friday night or Saturday to Sunday only. Been moving housec and away so life has been a bit silly and hectic.

Of course it would be fine to camp with no hook up. Most folks want EHU's for scopes and heating in the tent. I would suggest that you take loads of warm gear and then double it. It could be real cold up on the moors.

Pitches 30, 31, 51, 52 and 53 are non electric and the ones nearest the rest of us (I believe, check the map).

Thanks Daz and Baz. Looks a bit like I could be better off with a hookup if I am coming? What would I need to connect to it? Cost?

Checking with the other half she has something booked for 3 pm in Nottingham on Sunday that I should really get back for.

How would I be fixed for a late arrival Friday? I know it's not ideal but would make it more worth the Trek.

For electric hook up you need something like this......

http://www.millets.co.uk/equipment/023011-eurohike-mobile-mains-kit.html/781150/&cm_mmc=googleshop-_-shopping-_-feed-_-all&mkwid=s_dt&pcrid=66903469117&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=CNDC-trA38cCFdQaGwodF2gJzg?gclid=CNDC-trA38cCFdQaGwodF2gJzg

There are loads out there, all ranging in prices, but I would suggest getting one with 3 sockets at a minimum and also one with a built in RCD / surge protector, I wouldn't relay 100% on the campsites own circuit breakers.

As for turning up late Friday night, yes you can but the usual white light rules must apply (unless no one is outside due to the unmentionable).

Also, if it is clear, you will need to setup in the dark, not impossible and I will help, just will be more tricky.

The Millet's kit stated is a great piece of kit,I used it with a tent and trailer tent with no problems :D :D

Ron

You lot must be on commission... for all sorts of gear... if not you should be!

Ok. Looks like it could be useful sometime.... bought one.

Will have to look a bit more at dates, work commitments around that time and journey times but will endeavour to come.

I know that we don't want car lights interior or exterior causing a nuisance at EMS4.

Seeing as I am a newbie to official star parties, what lengths do I need to go to on making sure these lights don't cause a problem. I presume that if I just don't go in the car at all on a clear night and keep my keys out of my pockets so the indicators don't flash if I accidentally catch the button, then that would be OK. Otherwise I'm thinking at least red tape on internal lights and pretty much blacking out external lights as well as possible.

What are the guidelines on this?

What I do is take everything out the car that I need when setting up my tent or caravan. The idea being, I use the car on the Thursday (for example) and then don't touch it again until going home. That way, I never need to be in the car at all, either during the day or at night. For me, it just saves faffing around with bulbs, fuses, red tape ETC.

There was a couple last year on the blue field at Kelling whos Merc was flashing every few minuted. They were faffing most of the night with the car, opening doors, boot tgen the door then the boot again, everytime dilligently locking it. It was like being at a disco with the flashing indicators. I thought they were muggles due to their lack of concideration but they had a scope

Easy rule, if your standing next to your car with your scope theres no need to lock it until your ready to turn in. If your car locks itself after a time, make sure you do what Daz does or cover your lights

Edited by philjay

I covered the interior lamps with red film, initially for a star party, but just left it on. Same as Daz as well, just don't use it.

You will be fine Pete, you will be too busy to worry about the motor.

I have to use mine ;-)

I knew not putting my interior lights back in, or having fancy central locking would prove useful one day! :-D

I have to use mine ;-)

I knew not putting my interior lights back in, or having fancy central locking would prove useful one day! :-D

You have a low tech but highly practical vehicle Cazz. :2thumbsup:

I covered the interior lamps with red film, initially for a star party, but just left it on. Same as Daz as well, just don't use it.

You will be fine Pete, you will be too busy to worry about the motor.

If it's clear, there will be no way I'm going to chance losing my dark adaptation, and don't want to spoil anyone elses either :blink:

You won't even know I'm there. I'll probably have my head under a blackout hood, struggling after some impossible integrated flux nebula :ph34r::rolleyes::D 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally booked in for 9th & 10th pitch 28 with camper van awning and EHU. Will probably arrive just before dark. Might need a hand setting up the awning as I've only done it once and it was a sod even though it an air one ;)

Finally booked in for 9th & 10th pitch 28 with camper van awning and EHU. Will probably arrive just before dark. Might need a hand setting up the awning as I've only done it once and it was a sod even though it an air one ;)

Fantastic stuff Tom, really glad you can make it.

I will be there so will give you a hand.

Just been checking the route on Google earth, it seems the main thing is to keep going in Pateley Bridge until you've crossed over the bridge and NOT turn right before it! (especially with a caravan!!), that puts you on With Low Road towards the reservoir.. :)

Edited by Ron Clarke