• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Latest Purchases

Guest Kheldar

There seems to be an influx of Baader zooms at the moment!

No wonder there's a shortage!

It's all Kim's doing!! Managed to get a quick 20mins in last night as it was so clear-wasnt really in the mood as had a pretty rough day but lugged the scope out into the yard and left for 40mins and then put my warm clothes on as it was -4!Hyperion zoom and RACI finder worked a treat. Thanks Kim :) Looked at all the ones I normally can find from my light polluted back yard M31,double cluster,M42,M43,M45 also M34 (I think it was M34! I went straight Up above Triangulum and slewed slightly to right)

Felix

A camping mat and some heavy duty Velcro for dew control. Also an adaptor for my mag lite to make it a red torch :)

D C Fix Black Gloss finish material from Wilkinsons for flocking. Did not like the feel of the velour, seemed a little fluffy,thought it might be a dew magnet :). However the pile was small, nowhere near like felt. Thought id play it safe with the gloss finish.

D C Fix Black Gloss finish material from Wilkinsons for flocking. Did not like the feel of the velour, seemed a little fluffy,thought it might be a dew magnet :). However the pile was small, nowhere near like felt. Thought id play it safe with the gloss finish.

Gloss!? Do you mean matt? I would have thought gloss would be the last thing you want inside a scope.

Where's did you get the camping mat Felix? They didn't have black at JR Leisure this afternoon

Hey Kim,

No they didn't have black at the shop in Daventry either so I got a dark green instead.

Gloss!? Do you mean matt? I would have thought gloss would be the last thing you want inside a scope.

Will the gloss be too reflective?? Its called gloss but doesn't appear very shiny so thought it looked ok. Should I change it?

Felix

I don't know enough about these things to give advice as such, but everything I have seen says dark and matt, very matt. I plumped for the velour stuff, just waiting for Dion to put up a tutorial before I tackle it..... well I say that, but I'll no doubt blunder on regardless lol

I don't know enough about these things to give advice as such, but everything I have seen says dark and matt, very matt. I plumped for the velour stuff, just waiting for Dion to put up a tutorial before I tackle it..... well I say that, but I'll no doubt blunder on regardless lol

I exchanged it for the velour stuff! :). I too am awaiting Dions video-I don't trust myself!

Mine's the same stuff as you got, D C Fix but mine is 90cm wide x 1m. I have cut a small piece off to see how well it sticks etc, I'm a bit suprised it doesn't seem all that sticky? May have to do as others have done and use a tiny bit of super glue at the corners? I'm somewhat nervous about starting due to the fact it means taking everything off the tube, but it's only nuts n bolts so how hard can it be? lol. Worst job for me is trying to finish a tub of celebrations so I can use it to put the primary in whilst I'm doing it. It's a tough job, but I'll get there in the end, saving the galaxy ones for last though ;)

Black camping mat, for my dew shield:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/tg-100-id_8131781.html

Just need to get the velcro, and get SWMBO to get the sewing machine out.

Cheers

Tony

No need for sewing machines Tony. Just get self adhesive extra heavy duty Velcro from hobbycraft. That's what I used for mine,worked a treat.

Felix

Guest BigTfromNotts

Is that Mat black inside Tony? Looks a spot glossy on the outside.

yes, Kim, it is matt on the inside. Would it be a problem if it was glossy both sides?

Cheers

Tony

No need for sewing machines Tony. Just get self adhesive extra heavy duty Velcro from hobbycraft. That's what I used for mine,worked a treat.

Felix

Thanks Felix

I think glossy black material shines a bit from what I've seen - so it's possible that stray light could bounce around the shield if the inside was glossy. But I'm just guessing really and erring on the side of caution. I'll be flocking the dob so I want matt black on the inside of the dew shield as well for completeness. I'm also making a better dew shield for the CPC cos I don't like the Celestron one that it came with. :)

Oh yes please Tony - if you can get me one that would be great - naturally I'll sort you out with the cash - and a wee pint at the next social lol :)

In fact - can you get me two mats please?

Let me know how well that mat works, currently I'm using some old purple one I found in the loft and using masking tape to hold it onto the scope :D

Just ordered ADM Dual Saddle Upgrade for EQ5 from FLO, and the SWMBO has just ordered me a Telrad from somewhere don't recall where. That'll be a months worth of bad weather right there, sorry folks.

Just got an 18mm BST EP from Skys the Limit, I tried to change the order to a 15mm but an email from Alan said to late as someone had stolen some BT cable and they were without phone and emails!! They'll nick anything these days!! So I'll try out the 18mm weather permitting and see whether I should still exchange for a 15mm!

Guest Kheldar

Celestron X-Cel LX 25mm.

7 and possibly 5 left on the list.

I'm a bit partial to the Davina McCall one lol

This is the only reason I can stand to watch "Got to Dance" with my wife/daughter :D