• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Latest Purchases

Guest Kheldar

That’s a lot of literature. It’ll keep you busy. The flange that the focuser needs to fit over has a diameter of 4”. Does that seem about standard? 

I can also recommend emailing Ron at Moonlite as well.

They are very good and will help you out, no question.

35 minutes ago, Streetbob said:

That’s a lot of literature. It’ll keep you busy. The flange that the focuser needs to fit over has a diameter of 4”. Does that seem about standard? 

It's OK, I'm a prolific reader lol. I think the focusers are all very similar but they are connected to a specific flange for a specific scope. So at Planet MoonLite they custom assemble an ordered focuser then bolt on the flange for the particular scope it will be used in. 

The ones at RVO all have flanges compatible with 102mm Synta scopes attached. So can be used on most 102mm Sky-Watcher, Orion and Celestron 102mm refractors. 

That's what I think they do, it might be an idea to email them. Or email Adam at RVO and ask him if he could order a focuser fitted with a flange fitted specifically for a 102mm Altair Starwave.

https://www.focuser.com/

• 2 weeks later...

They look pretty special, like all things Takahashi.

Nice to see someone who makes an eyepiece without awful tapers or undercuts.

20 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

They look pretty special, like all things Takahashi.

Nice to see someone who makes an eyepiece without awful tapers or undercuts.

It's very well made and seems nice and 'contrasty', although I've only managed to daylight test it so far. 

nhwKE66l.jpg

I knew it would rain if I bought an eyepiece lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw it this morning with the naked eye. It's a bit far away now but will be gradually getting bigger. 

tPGk0uml.png

Even got my Mars filters ready lol.

• Haha 1

TS Skyfinder V LED Red Dot finder. 40mm aperture. Its made completely of metal ! So they say. Which means i hopefully won't be able to break it.

On my DM6 mount i have the bigger Baader version of this permanently mounted onto its altitude axis, so when i'm using

either of my 2 refractors on a different mount, i need another finder option.

This is just a smaller version of the Baader model : lower profile, almost half the price, and works the same way.

It doesn't have the screw on dew shields of the Baader, but that doesn't matter because once aligned on my motorised mount, it can be removed.

If i'm using my smaller scope on the DM4 during daylight for whatever, whether that be for bird watching, nature or general terrestrial viewing or for solar observation,

it has the capability of a brighter green dot, instead of a fainter red dot for night use. Both options are dimmable.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p7964_TS-Optics-SkyfinderV-LED-Red-Dot-Finder---completely-of-metal.html

49883628897_05126c84f1_b.jpg

Edited by Bino-viewer
  • Like 3

Finally, i have a 2" star diagonal, and some much needed out focus on the scope.

RVO originally sent me the wrong model, but all is now well. Its been a couple of years since i've had a 2" mirror diagonal at my disposal.

This is a Baader 2" mirror with some fancy coatings (Model number #2456115)

Its a big old lump, and may well have to live in place on the scope in its case.

Weight of the diagonal is 450g and a stated lightpath of 112mm. A lot of this is the size of the Clicklock design.

The 2" nose is a new design. Gone is the unpopular undercut, and some finely machined grooves

on an otherwise straight and smooth barrel have taken their place. Its threaded for 2" filters.

49890661266_410b7d47be_z.jpg49890970487_f76bdd623a_z.jpg

Edited by Bino-viewer

On 13/05/2020 at 16:11, Bino-viewer said:

Finally, i have a 2" star diagonal, and some much needed out focus on the scope.

RVO originally sent me the wrong model, but all is now well. Its been a couple of years since i've had a 2" mirror diagonal at my disposal.

This is a Baader 2" mirror with some fancy coatings (Model number #2456115)

Its a big old lump, and may well have to live in place on the scope in its case.

Weight of the diagonal is 450g and a stated lightpath of 112mm. A lot of this is the size of the Clicklock design.

The 2" nose is a new design. Gone is the unpopular undercut, and some finely machined grooves

on an otherwise straight and smooth barrel have taken their place. Its threaded for 2" filters.

49890661266_410b7d47be_z.jpg49890970487_f76bdd623a_z.jpg

Very nice. Most of the Baader diagonals feature the safety barfs or smurfs now. 

6kuEJSPl.jpg

I'm not totally sold on their efficacy, but anything's better than an undercut, right? lol

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

large.A5588A8B-CB70-405E-BA12-B8854B73EEBE.jpeg.642b83f803071fb43acf8f57f427bee3.jpegPostman’s been Astronomik  Lrgb and a  cls filter set  in baader  boxes 

Edited by Bottletopburly

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Picked up a zwo mini filter wheel loaded up Rgb L and a  pro planet ir pass 742  ,  now just to work out firecapture been so long since I imaged any planets large.FC8929AF-1473-4AD9-8A11-9E278EA56A4A.jpeg.d7821891b41fcebe6ced7a5bacc93fa4.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Docter / Noblex UWA 12.5mm

I've been after one of these for a long long time. So long in fact that the company has changed its name since i first looked at them.

This has a wide angle antistigmatic 84º field of view.

German made, but by the weight of it, you'd think it was of Russian build. It looks and feels like the barrel is made of tungsten ! 

Its a bit of beast and hits the scales at 520g. Its Similar in size / mass to my old Vixen LVWs of long ago and its not since i had my 2" Nagler 31mm

that i owned such a big lump of glass.

I'm looking forward to trying it out in the new Baader 2" diagonal and how it performs on the 3 big planets (when they finally clear the treeline that obscures them)

Probably too big to consider a 2nd for binoviewing ; and i also have a couple of Powermate options if i want to up the ante in the magnification department.

50158993371_544f5364c3_z.jpg 50159232782_9e1835cea3_z.jpg50158709768_6a662b3542_z.jpg

Edited by Bino-viewer
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/07/2020 at 15:53, Bino-viewer said:

Docter / Noblex UWA 12.5mm

I've been after one of these for a long long time. So long in fact that the company has changed its name since i first looked at them.

This has a wide angle antistigmatic 84º field of view.

German made, but by the weight of it, you'd think it was of Russian build. It looks and feels like the barrel is made of tungsten ! 

Its a bit of beast and hits the scales at 520g. Its Similar in size / mass to my old Vixen LVWs of long ago and its not since i had my 2" Nagler 31mm

that i owned such a big lump of glass.

I'm looking forward to trying it out in the new Baader 2" diagonal and how it performs on the 3 big planets (when they finally clear the treeline that obscures them)

Probably too big to consider a 2nd for binoviewing ; and i also have a couple of Powermate options if i want to up the ante in the magnification department.

50158993371_544f5364c3_z.jpg 50159232782_9e1835cea3_z.jpg50158709768_6a662b3542_z.jpg

Looks great. Are you sure the barrel isn't touching a reflecting surface in that diagonal?